• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Total Solar Eclipse - August 12th 2026

Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset

Not sure if people are aware of this, but there will be a total solar eclipse visible in Northern Spain on 12th August 2026. It’s not the longest from there, only around 1.5 minutes of totality and quite low but should still be good.

Mrs Stu, Lorna and I are thinking of driving down in the TToS and doing a bit of a European tour afterwards, but I thought that maybe for anyone planning a drive over to Europe for a few weeks tour it would make a worthwhile stop over for a day or two. It will be likely crazy busy, so sorting accommodation early would be necessary but these things don’t happen very often so it’s well worth making the trip.

Some details here:

https://nso.edu/for-public/eclipse-map-2026/#:~:text=The August 12%2C 2026 total,%2C Portugal%2C and northern Spain.

IMG_8340.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks Stuart, as a bit of an armchair space geek I was aware,  having also just watched the recent one in the States, that was "live" streamed by a few Youtubers and was well worth the watch. The one you mention also hits a slice of Greenland and just a bit of Iceland before moving South to Spain. Its odd to think that in the millennia to come folks will wonder what we ever witnessed , as the moon is constantly moving away from the Earth. I did work out ages ago how far it had moved since II was born ( in 65)  and it was around 6ft. So humans ( if we are still here) in the far future will see a very different sight to what we do today.

23 minutes ago, Ewan said:

I’ll be in Palma (Mallorca) that month, so that’s a fortuitous piece of timing!

Nicely planned Sir 👍👍