• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Renewing car tax.

Richard (OldStager)

Yesterday, I remembered my car tax was due, last year I had paid it all in one go but this year I wanted to pay monthly, so if my health went South again at least I am not wasting my money on a car I can't use. I had prior to last year had it on continuous direct debit for many many years. Since that direct debit had stopped and I had paid in one go last year I tried to fill in the DD section again, only to find after all the details were inputted, upon pressing submit or what ever the button says to complete your tax it returned a page saying application failed, either start over or contact some phone number... I went to bed knowing a phone call was needed then.

However, this morning reading emails , one was from DVLA, stating my new DD was set up and here are your details etc. I have no clue what went on there, as their website clearly said the application had failed.

As usual with me that's a long way of asking. If you once had a DD set up, and it's stopped does it automatically restart upon your tax having expired?.

I have checked the checker website and my box is still red for tax, so I won't drive it till it turns green as I am a bit confused at this.

If you've successfully paid you get a txt and e-mail to confirm, but I generally pay 12 months in one go. I'm not sure what the process is for direct debit. Though if you put your reg in and it's showing not taxed, I'd say your safe to assume it's continued. If you pay 6 or 12 months upfront, you can still cancel and get a refund for remaining full months if you need to, but we hope you done.

Given you've had an e-mail saying the DD is successful, perhaps check later or tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Ian, well I was in the garage most of the day on and off, and during the afternoon I got an email saying this 

Vehicle Tax Period: 12 months Vehicle Tax Amount Paid: GBP 362.25

Vehicle Tax Period: 12 months

Although the car is legal again, that's not what I wanted, I went through each page of the process choosing pay by direct debit filled all the boxes in it asked for, then when I pressed the submit or send or whatever it was it returned a page saying the application for road tax had failed, please either start over or ring DVLA. I didn't want £362 going out in one day, that messed me up a bit really, not critical but not ideal either.

Oh well life happens and all that.

eta - oh hang on, I wonder if that is 362 over the 12 months via instalments, the rest of their " Your car is taxed "email does not mention DD, I need to check what DD payments amount over 12 months. 

erm, my v11 reminder letter has a total of £341 if using DD over 12 months not the £362 I seem to have paid today, has tax gone up , I got this reminder maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago.

It went up 1st April. IIRC from £325 to £345 for a one off 12 month payment for mine. Always tax mine 31st March to stave it off for a year.... 

• Thanks 1

Ah, that's the issue is it thank you Stuart, I was unaware . The receipt of payment says 362.25 but no mention of DD at all, I am guessing then despite the website saying  it had failed, it actually had worked then?.  I have just checked my bank app, my order with CBS from today is there but nothing from DVLA at all. Box is still red on the check site, but I know it may take day or so for that to change. Not that bothered about the green box bit as the cars in bits anyway and will be till next week anyway, it was more I didn't want to pay all in one go this year.

Just to close this thread off, it did indeed appear that their website threw a wobbly when it said failed, but now I have a green box on the checker website - yay. Matter closed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1