What to take on a road trip to Austria

Jonboy

Hi all, in August I’m going to visit friends in Vienna so plan to make it a little touring trip. 
Plans so far are ferrry to Rotterdam, Grossglockner first then track day at Red Bull Ring in Spielberg then onto Vienna. 
For a general trip abroad, any tips on what spares to take, previous experiences that others may have had that would benefit someone doing this trip please. 

cheers, John

Grossglockner is pretty epic - take good quality wet weather gear! Although maybe not so much rain in August, but when it rains, it’s biblical. 

There’s a pass that has a set of lights to make it one way traffic, that’s ace. Will try and find it. 

Must find out where this was too 🤣

IMG_0383.thumb.jpeg.a048dc1ffa03e07f59d556737ac998fd.jpeg

When I drove down to Marseille last year I took the following;

Tools

• Selection of common size spanner's
  • Ratchet multi-bit screw driver
  • Wire snips
  • Small 1/2” drive socket handle and socket for wheel nut (19mm), just in case I had to take the wheel off I could stand on it to break them
  • Small 1/4” socket set (Bacho SL25)
  • Torch
  • Pocket knife
  • Allen key set
  • Crimps

Spares & Consumables

• Throttle cable
  • Clutch cable
  • Alternator belt
  • Spare bulbs
  • Fuses
  • Cable ties
  • Electrical tape
  • Self amalgamating tape
  • Crimp connectors - selection
  • Gloves (latex)
  • Selection of nuts and bolts
  • Duct tape
  • Selection of electrical wire

I think that’s it 🤣

I managed to get most of it into an old wash bag and stored it behind both seat's. What I couldn’t fit into the wash bag I put into plastic bags, to keep dry if any rain. It’s quite surprising how much space is behind the seats to store stuff 👍🏼

To add to @Matt_S list, I’d always pack a wide variety of jubilee/hose clips plus a small selection of hoses. It’s amazing how much you can get packed away and what you can fix at a push. 

On our tours we have got people home with broken alternator brackets, a snapped gear linkage (bec), blown turbo hoses, sheared exhaust pipes, leaky radiators, fried electrics and even a snapped wishbone ball joint! 

If you are going with others, split the load to avoid doubling up too much on heavy or bulky items too. 

9 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Hi all, in August I’m going to visit friends in Vienna so plan to make it a little touring trip. 
Plans so far are ferrry to Rotterdam, Grossglockner first then track day at Red Bull Ring in Spielberg then onto Vienna. 
For a general trip abroad, any tips on what spares to take, previous experiences that others may have had that would benefit someone doing this trip please. 

cheers, John

I recommend to take 3 good friends 😉

Are you on your own in your car or travelling two up?

We strongly recommend the car train from Dusseldorf to Innsbruck. However timetable is a now quite restrictive.

UEX

Happy to have a chat one night to share experience from 3 previous Alps trips.

• Like 1