New member!

Mark B

Hi all I'm a newbie (on here anyway), I've been going to the kit car shows (Donnington & stafford mainly) for the past couple of years and I've always wanted a westfield.

The only concern I have is being able to drive it!

I've sat in the cars on the stands but have struggled to get comfortable enough to drive it with the pedals being close & steering wheels hitting my knees.

I'm 6'3'' with size 14 feet, how do the rest of you go on?

Can you make many adjustments to the column & pedals?

The westfield guys said there is a guy with one who has size 17 feet & is 6'8''!

Good site btw.

Cheers,

Mark.  :t-up:

There's no height restraints or shoe size requirements to joining the WSCC  :D  :D  :cool:  ;)  :D

In fact you don't even need to own a car  :D  :D  :devil:

I'm about 6'3" and size 12 feet, I'm also quite long in the leg. The only problem I have driving my wide body is that I could do with being a couple of inches further away from the pedals.

My legs are bent enough for my knees to be 'in the way' of the steering wheel when doing more than 1/2 lock or so.

Either a thinner seat, or moving the pedals away from me would probably solve it.

As far as shoe size goes, as long as you can get 'narrow' shoes (I wear Sparco race boots as I was practically pressing all three pedals together in normal shoes) then I would imagine you should be Ok.

The only real answer is to try out some cars...however I wouldn't have thought you'd have too much trouble in a wide body. Why not phone the factory and arrange a visit?

Andy

Cheer for the replies guys,

Mark, glad to hear it mate, cos when I go shopping for shoes they just give me the boxes! lol.

Andy, Yes thought race boots would be a must as my feet are fairly wideish aswell as long, I suppose I could always amputate a few toes but it's a last resort!

The westfield guys mentioned that you can get different length columns, are these any good to give you more knee room?

I've sat in a few but the drivers of them have always been about 5'8'' /5'10'' with small feet!

Cheers,

Mark. :)

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Perhaps we can find a fellow lang-leggedy-beastie with a Westy near you that will let you have a sit in :D

Andy

I'm in Cheshire mate, near junction 18 off the m6.

I've seen a couple of westies round here but usually buzzing through to get to oulton park.

Cheers,

mark. :)

I'M 6'6, with size 11 plates.   I have just added an extra couple of spacing plates to the steering column mountings.   It has raised the wheel a good inch or so, and getting in n out of my beastie is easy.  The only issue with it is that the instruments can get obscured by the wheel.

I shall be SVAing my car without the extra spacers, just to be safe.   If you want to have a sit in my car in a month or so time when it is registered, let me know.   I'm in the midlands, but I know I shall be using any excuse to go for a blat!

:t-up:

To add to the others' comments, I'm 6'5" with size 12's and am quite comfortable in my wide bodied car. I went to the factory but couldn't get in the drivers seats of the demonstrators, they need setting up for someone tall.

I've got the racing bucket seats right back against the bulkhead as low as they'll go, the steering column is raised using packing washers etc., and I've got a QR steering wheel for good measure. The QR boss was welded on with an additional couple of inches added to the steering column, and with the 240mm D shaped wheel there's plenty of room round the wheel for my knees.

You're welcome to a sit but I'm in South Wales! Or you could pop over to Cadwell on Friday ;)

Bob thanks for the offer, if you fancy a spin out I may take you up on the offer! I'm glad you have both found ways to make driving comfy, it gives me hope.

I intend on buying one second hand and rebuilding or modifying to my own tastes. I did look at a very nice yellow 2 litre zetec last year at donnington that had originally been used for endurance racing, it was a wide body with special lightweight chassis, but with the extra chassis bracing under the dash I banged my knee on it when my foot was on the throttle.

First thing I'll do is buy some race boots and then try a few for size.

Cheers,

Mark.

You're welcome to a sit but I'm in South Wales! Or you could pop over to Cadwell on Friday ;)

Bob have you set off yet. :D  :D Thats a long way to come

I have the opooiste problem !!!

I'm 5 ' 8 " and only weigh about 9 stone 4 lbs to I tend to rattle about in my wide bodied car !!!!!

Martin.

I have the opooiste problem !!!

I'm 5 ' 8 " and only weigh about 9 stone 4 lbs to I tend to rattle about in my wide bodied car !!!!!

Martin.

Fit a 6 point harness

Unfortunately can't make it on April 6th, I will have to annoy some tall unsuspecting owners with big feet at the next show!

I'm glad there's other people out there who've got around the problem though, all the westfield owners I've seen have been under 6' with small feet apart from Nigel Dean, I tried to collar him at stafford but he kept disappearing.

Cheers,

Mark. :)

IIRC Midds had his 'busa custom built for him due to his size. (6'6" Rugby Player) - http://www.midds.racers.co.uk

Maybe the chaps at westfield could do a few mods for you ?? :t-up:

I'm 6'3" with size 11 boats and wish i had a wide body instead of a narrow one, it's a bit tricky to get in and out to say the least but I'll cope.

I'm long in the leg and found that a thin GRP Plays-kool seat has set me down/back far enough so I can fit under an FIA roll bar and sit in holding steering wheel withough my legs touching the steering wheel.

I'm in the process of having a Q/R lug welded on which should give me another couple of inches.