Karma!

Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset

On 29/07/2023 at 13:36, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO- Devon & Somerset said:

Heading back home from Dartford to Crewkerne the other night in the tin top, a rather large black 4x4/truck roared up behind me on a dual carriageway section of the A303. I was travelling at a reasonable lick myself, and could not easily pull over to let him through as the left lane was busy. The traffic in front slowed a bit so he proceeded to repeatedly drop back then race up behind me to within about 6 inches of my bumper, flashing his lights, not pleasant. All I could do was maintain a steady pace and hope he didn’t actually ram me.

After a while, I was able to pull into the inside lane safely and he overtook, then pulled in front and brake tested me; something I was fully expecting so was well prepared.

This is where the story becomes more positive and faintly amusing. As he headed off towards a roundabout, a dark blue Volvo estate pulled alongside me, the passenger window came down and the guy indicated to me to slow down a bit ( I did say reasonable lick!) They then headed off keeping up with the truck but in a fairly subtle manner. 

As we came off the roundabout, there was a convenient lay-by and the blue lights came on the Volvo and Mr Big Truck was nicked! I made eye contact with the driver as he got out; I don’t like to gloat but it was a satisfying moment. I hope they did him for dangerous driving, as that’s what it was. 

Great story, how very satisfying, gloat on! 👍😁

• Like 1

Worthy of a Nelson Muntz  ‘Ha Ha’ as you drive past.

IMG_3727.png.f0a1b10b4568301b1f4a4b7a687ad9d2.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Doesn’t this sum up the folly of doing away with Traffic cops for ever more cameras.

the officer saw you were going a bit fast and gave advice, he then dealt with a dangerous driver who a camera would not catch.

Road safety has been let down by the relentless attack on speeding at the expense of sensible policing but the anti speed brigade makes too much money from the issue and several charities would not exist if it was not seen as the number 1 cause of accidents regardless of the truth

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

Doesn’t this sum up the folly of doing away with Traffic cops for ever more cameras.

the officer saw you were going a bit fast and gave advice, he then dealt with a dangerous driver who a camera would not catch.

Road safety has been let down by the relentless attack on speeding at the expense of sensible policing but the anti speed brigade makes too much money from the issue and several charities would not exist if it was not seen as the number 1 cause of accidents regardless of the truth

Totally agree there Jeff. It was actually great to see a well driven police car (at speed), with guys who made a judgement call that a bit of advice to me was enough (which it was), whilst dealing with the real danger out there. I’m grateful to them.

• Like 1

Aye, I well remember the days of being “slightly brisk, ie not taking the wee with the speed limit, but driving to the road and conditions rather the limit itself, and being passed by unmarked cars, only to spot the uniforms inside, and get the “look” and the wagged finger from the passenger before the unit accelerated away to deal with someone else.

It worked. (Well for that journey anyway :blush: )

• Like 1

I was bundling along the M40 going home one summer's evening in the late 1970s when a Mercedes of some description shot past me well into three figures - as I was err, a bit over the posted limit and he made me look sluggish. My philosophy has long been that when someone is taking the Mick so obviously it is likely to bring out the unmarked cars. I dropped back from lane 2 into lane 1 and slowed to sixty-ish only to be passed like a flash of lightning by another German car clearly playing with the Merc. They clearly hadn't spotted the Renault 30 in their rear view but the two uniformed officers in the Renault had certainly got the pair of them in his viewfinder. The next thing I spotted was the second German car on the hard shoulder with the first one about a mile farther along being addressed by a nice policeman. Presumably the second car left on the hard shoulder had been told to sit tight or face the consequences. All jolly fun, what! Who knew Renault 30's were that fast? 2.7 litre V6 IIRC. 

• Like 2