Toyota thermostats

orange t

I am running a SEW fitted with a Toyota twin cam and it takes forever to warm up. I have an oil coller fitted which I think is total over-kill however, I thought I had a thermostat fitted. When I checked the toyota engine manual it showed that the engines out of the AE86's (North South) had a thermostat fitted to the engine block. The latter engines, had it in a separate unit bolted to the rear of the block (East West engine like mine AE92). My question is, what are other people running? Has anyone plumbed in the separate unit which houses the thermostat.

I can't help on the specifics of the Toyota engine, but running a thermostat is a *must*.

Also, if the oil cooler circuit is devoid of a thermostat, then you really aren't doing the engine any favours at all. Think Automotive do a sandwich plate with a thermostat built in to control oil temps. I'd fit one of those, or ditch the oil cooler completely.

FWIW, neither of my cars have oil coolers. I don't think they are necessary on Westfields.....

Good man - like the cut of your jib!

Oil cooler can be junked and sold IMHO.

I understand that the water thermo is a part of the heater although I have seen a remote one fitted. I don't have a heater - or any other creature comforts - over the winter I've taken the high tech approach and have blanked out the top and bottom of the grill with Duct tape. Even then I only got the fan to cut in while idling in the paddock at a track day in Feb. You could always have a chat with RAW...