TAX

JonnyBoy

If i tax my car now for 6 months starting april 1st.....when can i legally drive the car?

do you get a couple of days before, or is it 1st april before i can shake my cobwebs off caused bay a winter of driving a 68 beetle and a 1.1 fiesta automatic?

or was that a very silly question ???

the weekends always fall at the wrong times :(

Here's the official reply;

DVLA

It dosn't day you can't use the vehicle until the beginning of the month. I will be taxing mine on Friday and using it this weekend. Someone would have to be having a very BAD day to make an issue of using the car before 1st April.

Lets hope the weather holds......................

That refers to 'the current licence expires at the end of the month.

I assumed from the original question that it wasn't taxed at the moment. So I don't think that answer applies.

Yes, they'd have to be being picky to do something about it, but legally he isn't entitled to drive the car until his tax comes into place I believe.

Andy

yep, you are right andy, the car aint taxed yet...and if its not legal and the unspeakable happens then i am pretty much f***ed i guess....

I wish to relicense my car, the current licence expires at the end of the month. What is the earliest date I can relicense?

Not more than 14 days before the licence is due to start. But if there is a break in licensing of a month or more then you can not be issued with a licence more than two working days before it is due to start.

just read what the dvla say and its not quite clear really..

like mick says...it doesnt actually say you can use it on those 2 working days??!

hmmm i wonder..perhaps a phone call is required in the morning

Sod `em.... :p

Live a little....... ;)

If your tax disc isnt in the bottom left hand corner you can be fined anyway... :0

Not that I`m promoting breaking the law of course :blush:

Jonny just done some more reading, perhaps a wait would be wise:

DVLA

Select No2 - How to license a vehicle - and scroll down to

When can I apply for a licence?

Usually, not more than fourteen days before the licence is to start. If there has been a break in licensing of a month or more, we cannot issue you with a licence more than two working days before it is due to start. A licence comes into force on the day it is issued. If you take the licence out in advance, it comes into force on the first day of the next month and should not be displayed on your vehicle until then.

However I probably will 'live a little' this weekend and be careful!!!!!!!  :D

Just spoke to a helpful welsh bloke...

why do they always put people with an inability to speak legible english on telephone helpline call centres????

.....he said you cannot drive the car in march on an april tax disk. So there we go.

Anyone have any clues as to the insurance situation? Does failure to have current RFL invalidate any claim?

I think 'JonnyMan' might end up hiding the keys if I come home before the 1st though  ;)  :p

Common sense really. You haven't paid anything to drive in March, so why should you be allowed to?

Which is just about where we came in...

Andy

I know....its been futile..

itchy throttle foot keeps your hopes alive.

next time, someone remind me to take what Andy says as gospel! :p  :D  :blush:

next time, someone remind me to take what Andy says as gospel! :p  :D  :blush:

Hmmm...I wouldn't go that far...

:D

Andy

Hmmm

If you've had a break from road tax and you're caught this weekend the burden of proof will be on you to show that you haven't used the car since it was last taxed.

If you can't prove it they'll do you for up to 5 x the road tax due since you last taxed the car  ???  ;)  :arse:

A few years ago a Magistrate fined me £80 for not showing a tax disk 2 days after the expiry of the old one even though I could prove that I had taxed the car (tax disk arrived on the Monday, caught on the Saturday) and he agreed that I had no intent to defraud.  :arse:  :arse: