Number plates

Apart from acting as a 'feeler' for ramps etc, the standard number plate seems a bit odd nailed to the bottom edge of the nose cone.  I did think of putting it on hinges so that the air flow folds it up underneath whilst moving (useful for cameras!;) but fear it would oscillate rather than stay still.

Another option is the adhesive plates but, as I suspect they are not technically legal, being more horizontal than vertical, I wondered if anyone has had problems with the jam buttie squad?

Stick on plate used for 5 years. No problems yet, from either plod, or Mr MOT man..........

Bear in mind that for the front plate, legislation requires it to be mounted to the first suitable vertical surface. IMO, a Westfield doesn't have a suitable vertical surface, so as close to the front of the nose as is practical seems to be OK........

That'll put the mockers on it.........

Evnin Blatters.

I have spoken to a traffic plod about this as I have a small front number plate. He said that the only car legally allowed to have a stick on front number plate was an E type Jag. That said he must have had some sense as he turned round and said that motor bikes do not have to have a front plate and he could see no reason that a car should be any different. So he would not pull me for my little plate or you mate for your stick on one. :t-up:  ;)

I'm pretty sure plod in your neck of the woods have a considerably different attitude to those in mine.......... ???  ???

It's down in black and white somewhere, I'm sure............I guess I'd better do a search...........  :0  :0  :D  :D

A quick search found this....

No mention of failure for an improperly positioned plate, BUT this may well not be the definitive guide.........of particular interest is this though;

"...... and check each one for security and condition"

One could argue that a plate fitted by two bolts in the "natural" position, may well not be deemed to be in a secure area....... a stick on one probably won't fall off.........

my plate is scaled down to be the width of the plinth at the lower part of the nose.

It is a custom one in polycarbonate and cos ~15quid

looks great though IMO

have a look see...

front.jpg

incidently its not of the legal dimensions but its not noticibly over small...and far bigger than a bike plate.

it would be a bad day for plod to pull me for it!

Apart from the middle letter of the 3...what is it supposed to be, an a?

Certainly not standard I don't think...or is it just me?

Andy

i made that up in photoshop.....didnt want to publish my reg when openly admitting its not a legal size plate!! - that would be silly :0

:(

Have a look here, and scroll down to question 26...........

So make sure that your stick on plate displays the correct BS number, and that it is suitably reflective...........

i made that up in photoshop.....didnt want to publish my reg when openly admitting its not a legal size plate!! - that would be silly :0

Ok...thought it looked very odd!

You're excused :D

Andy

After 3 broken plates - enough was enough !

I peeled the reflective film off the clear ( broken ) plastic plate and heat-sealed it into a clear plastic laminate envelope. Its even bolted to the chin of the nose cone and probably does bend back at speed.

( I've never been inclined to look !;)

Passed MOT inspection last year too.

Regards