mrs wants a "quiet" exhaust

z_chromozone

Help!

The Mrs will not let me buy a Westfield unless I sort out a quiet exhaust.  I took her for a ride one some time ago and it was too loud to talk.   Are there any known mods for having an exhaust that exits at the rear and not the side.

Many thanks, Z.

I the style of Graeme from Blind date

So will it be #1, Get the wife ear pugs

How about #2, trade in the wife in for the car

Or could it be lucky #3, get a Supertrap

(these go in the end of the exhaust, but do rob the power, but you can take it out when she is not looking :D)

The choise is yours

Yep - buy her some ear-plugs  :devil:  :D  :D

Or you'll need an alternative re-packable silencer by Tech-Craft, Wunoff, Tony Laws etc etc

Check the WSCC links page  :D  ;)

Anyone tried the (cheaper) silencers in the DT catalogue?

Are they (a) worth the welding - for the input pipe and (b) suitable for our engines?

Also, given the price difference between repackable and non-repackable, why not just buy a non-repackable and replace more often?

Any tech heads want to list the critical silencer design factors that affect the efficacy (and, therefore, probably the price), in descending order?

why not just buy a non-repackable and replace more often?

Cos its a false economy - my re-packable silencer only cost £150 a couple of years ago - its a better quality product than my previous silencer, bigger dia and re-packable, should last longer - with noise limits constantly being reduced - You'll probably end up buying a sealed system every year  ;)

Why not chop a hole in the side for repacking purposes and have a plate that attaches via over centre clips to cover the hole? DIY repackable :D

I took her for a ride one some time ago and it was too loud to talk

Sounds perfect to me !!  :D  :D

But a bigger diameter repackable silencer will be needed if you want to make it quieter.  But earplugs are cheaper.  And you can use them as well*

*not just when she's in the car !!  :D  :D

Westfield do make an underslung exhaust that exits at the rear for the Seight and some of the Zetec variants.  Very quiet it is, too.  Alternatively, I have seen a Birkin where the side exhaust outlet was straight rather than 90 degrees, and was then routed behind the rear wheel and came out at the rear.

Any tech heads want to list the critical silencer design factors that affect the efficacy (and, therefore, probably the price), in descending order?

As with most things, size matters.

For a silencer you should be looking at 6" diameter, and 24" in length, at least. I prefer a 6" diameter (I think 7" pipes are a little too big). A 30"x6" silencer would be quieter than a 24"x6" silencer, a 24"x7" would be quieter than a 24"x6"........etc......

As for Mr chromozone's request, I'm with the rest. Use earplugs. I do, all the time, and so does Blatgirl. If you want conversation, take the tin top. Besides, you'll have more to talk about when you arrive, if you aren't communicating in the car. Surely that's a good thing....... :devil:

I knew I was in for a ribbing when I posted :D

I will have a look in to the other factory exhausts, I was not aware that they did any until now.

Many thanks,

Z.

I have a rear-exiting exhaust with a Vx XE engine. I've no idea where it came from - it was on the car when I bought it - but at least it proves that they do exist. I'm not sure I'd call it 'quiet' as such, but at least it's not making its noise right by the passenger's ear.

A.