- New Trailer Now Purchased - Trailer either single or twin axle. Suit a Westfield SeiW (widetrack) and MX5 Mk3

potster

Having towed my mx5 and westy with both single and twin axle trailers, for an MX5 I would recommend twin axle. 

For a mk3 you need a lot more width than a wide track westy too - probably 1.75 - 1.8m to allow wiggle room. The mk2 isn’t quite as wide as the mk3 and fits on my 1.71m BJ minno max whereas a mk3 wouldn’t. 

Bed length is fine at 3.4m if that helps. 

When I was towing a westfield - I used a PRG twin axle and found it to be very stable behind a car and a 7.5m long motorhome - Also much safer when I had a trailer tyre blow-out, it remained fully stable until I got into the services and able to change it 👍

I had a blow out at 60 on the M1 with a single axle - no dramas other than the scary bit of being on the hard shoulder!

Didn’t even notice it at first 🤣

But definitely prefer the twin 👍

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 19:03, Kingster said:

I had a blow out at 60 on the M1 with a single axle - no dramas other than the scary bit of being on the hard shoulder!

Didn’t even notice it at first 🤣

But definitely prefer the twin 👍

Same as my experience with a single axle trailer and a blow out. No drama and didnt even know. Single axles are much cheaper too

8 minutes ago, John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison said:

Single axles are much cheaper too

And so much more manoeuvrable single handed, when not hitched to the tow vehicle, I couldn't believe the difference when I borrowed one. 

• Like 1

The trick, for manhandling a twin axle trailer, is to jack the front up on the jockey wheel until the front wheels are well clear of the ground. You can then wheel the trailer around on the rear wheels as if it was a single axle, albeit a fairly heavy one.😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stephenh said:

The trick, for manhandling a twin axle trailer, is to jack the front up on the jockey wheel until the front wheels are well clear of the ground.

Aye, been there, done that. While it helps, It’s not even close to the ease of moving a good single axle trailer.

As mentioned, I’ve had both single and twin axle trailers.

For a nice light Westy, the single axle won hands down for ease of manoeuvrability and towed really well. 

But whilst it (the single axle) did tow OK with the MX5 on it, the twin axle is far superior when carrying the extra weight.

I use a motorised jockey wheel to move the fully loaded twin axle around at home and thus have no problems using it at all. 

So I still definitely recommend a twin axle if you have something like an mx5 to tow - and then get a motorised jockey wheel (or a Mr Shifta) and you are sorted.  👍

• Like 1

My drive is on a hillside and Mr Shifta (and probably a motorised jockey) struggles for grip on the surface with a loaded trailer in damp conditions. My trailer in in my garage nose-in so on 'difficult' days I would move the trailer in and then drive the car up on to it. For most purposes though, Mr Shifta is very effective.

The gradient isn't too obvious here.

Wyr7nub.jpg

10 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

My trailer in in my garage nose-in

Me too. I use an electric winch to pull loaded trailer into the garage after lining it up with the motor-mover.

@potster apologies if we are diluting your wanted ad - but hopefully this is all useful info that will help you make an informed decision. But let us know if you would prefer these comments to be moved into their own “trailer buying guide” thread and I will tidy it up for you👍

@Kingster It's not a problem. Hopefully it will help other forum users. 

Still looking, now for a twin axle trailer, as per the recommendations. 

On 07/02/2023 at 08:41, Kingster said:

But let us know if you would prefer these comments to be moved into their own “trailer buying guide” thread and I will tidy it up for you👍

@Kingster   As i am about to take the plunge and buy a trailer a dedicated thread would be really useful - FAQ?