MX5 as track day car

Richard Houlgate

I'm thinking of buying one so our sons (in their 30s) can have a go at track days.

Can anyone offer me any advice? What car to aim for? Tyres to use?

I'm an experienced speed series competitor and have done several track days before but my sons are complete novices.

Thanks

A few of us have MX5 track cars, they are extremely good fun and an excellent choice for a new track day driver as they are really forgiving and easy to drive. 

A 1.8 mk2 or 2.5 (mx5 nb) is the main contender - the mk2.5 has vvt and a smidge more power. 

most prefer the 5 speed box as it seems to have better track ratios. 

Things to look for: rust, rust and more rust! The front chassis rails, rear arches and sills are the main culprits. 

You can pick one up for around £1k and then spend £500 on a used roll bar, seat and harness combo. 

Tyres - get one with 15” wheels and buy the ex Ginnetta cup Michelin PS3s

Here is mine affectionately known as Rusty Bin 😁

DD1F8816-2213-4D89-8A67-55700278C852.jpeg.0e98f8b664b40d7485622a43229a55ae.jpeg

Cost £800 a year ago. 

Just bought another that has a really, really sound rust free body and a hardtop but a knackered engine. So will be fitting Rusty’s engine, box, LSD and track mods to make a good one out of the two. 

The mk3 mx5 with the 2.0 duratec is supposed to be very capable too, but never driven one. They are fairly cheap but no doubt suffer from similar rust issues. 

5 hours ago, Kingster said:

The mk3 mx5 with the 2.0 duratec is supposed to be very capable too, but never driven one. They are fairly cheap but no doubt suffer from similar rust issues. 

Yep, agree

very capable and quicker than a 1.8 mkI/II.

But definitely not as fun, not feeling as checkable. 

The newest nd 2l version gets back to the fun and even quicker but still too dear for a to be abused track car imo

MkI appear to be good ones and expensive, or have issues. So I'd go for the mkII, I'd sometimes preferred going out in the one we had round country lanes than in my Westfield!

And it was definitely better driver than Wendy's current mkIII

I know a couple of exish Westfielders who had MX5 track cars, who went newest MR2s so maybe worth looking at those too.

The Mr2 it’s a capable (but perhaps a bit twitchy) car by all accounts.

the only one I personally know of used on track is AdamR’s “munter2” - which is insane. Well it was when Maurici took me around a damp Oulton anyway!

• Haha 2

My inclination is to head for a 2 litre 2005 or slightly younger, price £3-4k, if I can find one that's not rusty.

As the kids are going 1/3rd each that should be affordable. I'd hope that at that price the thing wouldn't need too much doing to it as I've 5 cars already and can't cope with another one. I'd also be able to put it into the local garage for servicing and minor repairs. Is the 2 litre the same as the Ford Duratec?

56 minutes ago, Richard Houlgate said:

Is the 2 litre the same as the Ford Duratec?

To my knowledge, yes. 

• 1 month later...

I'm now the proud owner of a 2006 MX5 2 litre, 2 owners FSH, 80k miles, 5 speed, 16" wheels, not too rusty, really too good for track days but so much better than the other rot boxes I looked at. 

I went to my local garage yesterday, the only thing Pete found was a binding rear brake due to the pads sticking. Tyres and brake pads are good. I've booked it in with him to change all the fluids (engine, gearbox, rear axle, brake, coolant)  check the tappets and change the plugs. He'll also change the thermostat as it's running cool, a tyre shop is nearby and they'll laser align it.

What brake fluid should be used? I'm thinking of Super DOT4 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393420613270?fits=Car+Make%3AFord&epid=1623285096&hash=item5b99b22696:g:WOMAAOSwbGlg3dR2&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4F9R8WBP64UOLecW%2B2iZWTSZSPXkkKrlyhtp68K2A4Wu%2B6JgzPc8tAaxBygXsYpOSpyE7lM6G34AiiL8hQ3%2F5qTzU0PVf%2B7Rr%2Fu37aeyNDhT56WI%2B5ye9Dh1cGedk6b1ZuIXtevn0KZteVF3xqZXV%2FKctE2FEp0F785pehZTKE98LaEIivVCvwK%2FZthXW6ygD1KRxHmpGEXdGRNzChMGYn2wSV5OHywOcgdv4XOjq6NqvU%2BXTLfJrEhNhKHszxNh9t%2BqMbN6qvBEh3KzP8M6%2FXCN0bpzewKbFIuGiWNG5RWC|tkp%3ABk9SR4Komt7YYQ

The clutch will soon need changing. Will the standard Mazda one be OK or should we fit a racing one?

20230216_155818.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

So 4 track days and 800 track miles later the car hasn't missed a beat. With three of us driving the car doesn't get a break, but it seems to go better and better. I've just invested in a set of 17" wheels and have fitted Michelin PS4 tyres which have made a big difference over the standard rubber the car came with. I've also had Demon Tweeks alter camber, track and toe to some more track day settings. The car seems to do about 20mpg on track.

I now need to replace the brake pads, does anyone have any recommendations please?

Next thing is to lower the car, probably best done by buying coil overs, any thoughts?

4 hours ago, Richard Houlgate said:

Next thing is to lower the car, probably best done by buying coil overs, any thoughts?

Meister R. Highly Recommended 👍

19 hours ago, Kingster said:

Meister R. Highly Recommended 👍

Mines 2001NB  (Rocketeer conversion) road only.  I have the Meister Zeta CRD shocks and springs and rate them highly,  adjustable spring platform and seperate adjuster spring pre load plus the usual shock stiffness knob.  Lots to play with there.

You may want to spend  £200   more for the Clubrace version which are more suited to the track.   Other quality shocks and springs are BC Racing so check them out as well.

Theres plenty of chassis stiffening systems out there and all improve the stiffness of the floor pan and reduce scuttle shake.  I went for the bolt in chassis railt covers in stainless steel. Best buy was the under wing/fender Frog Arms which had the most effect on sharpening steering response and reducing scuttle shake.  

As for pads, Mintex 1144 or 1155 are a favourite on our Westfields so why not try them.  

Brake fluid ,  ive always used ATE Blue, Motul RBF600 or Castrol response dot 4 on my track Westfield and no boiling there.

On 16/07/2023 at 08:34, Richard Houlgate said:

any thoughts on brake pads Chris?

We use Apec - not expensive, considering that the mx5 does go through pads on track much quicker than on road. I want through a set of brembos in a day…

16 hours ago, SootySport said:

Clubrace version

That’s what i have. Excellent 👍