Touring Storage Ideas

DylanParry

Firstly, not sure if I’ve posted to the correct place.

Next year I will be travelling to Le Mans, and camping over.

I’m looking for some ideas for carrying stuff over. I’ll be going alone in my car, and dont want stuff hanging on the cage or on the back.

Has anyone modified or made something to store items? Im thinking possibly removing the passenger seat, and making a temporary storage box or some sort, that I could make water tight, and lockable.

Any thoughts?

I always put luggage on the back but I did have a stainless steel box made that sits in the engine bay just beyond the pedals that I store spares in when I'm touring. 

Taking the seat out and footwell should give you plenty of space. We camped around Europe with a passenger no problems 

I removed a seat and used roll bags for our summer Europe trip. I would do the same again as it worked well

149E2B27-3EA0-4613-BEEF-C15F2403A11C.jpeg

4AE6FF1C-45BD-41F3-BC96-769C44F940B8.jpeg

For 2 months of road tripping I used a lomo roll bag, for most of my stuff, with a box of spares strapped to the back. 

IMG_20190914_170026.thumb.jpg.982890722a57bc3faef9b32a430d4820.jpg

I also put a hidden frame for hiding some tool boxes above the diff. This gets covered by the rear panel, so while it's not locked as such, it's well camouflaged. It's 2 tiered, so there's more below what you see here. 

IMG_20190914_144257.thumb.jpg.7f629246d9103767ddb43092f0043096.jpg

I also strapped the jack in the engine bay to free up more space.

IMG_20190904_164740.thumb.jpg.8dbb4699f863a7a6544a6aaab50a2347.jpg

If you don't want stuff on the back the lomo bag would still be good in the passenger seat/footwell, and it's waterproof (tried and tested) in case you want to use it strapped to the back in the future. 

Screenshot_20221219-090111_Photos.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For our Alps trip there was plenty of space in passenger footwell and seat (going solo) - plus the seat harness would hold a waterproof stuff bag securely. Bootbox was used for tools and spares. No need to strap anything to the cage in my case. 

Don't forget the area behind the seats is quite big normally and is great for those 'not immediate access items', if your seats are on runners that is.

I've had 4 great Euro Blats so far- first two involved carrying a six man tent in my passenger Footwell. As I'm aero-screened I didn't want a bag on the rear to act as an air brake.

You can store items under and behind seats. If you're travelling with others, agree who's carrying what tools/spares before you travel to minimise duplication. some tools are fine stored under the bonnet too.

Here's just the tent, strapped in-(Test fittment, I preferred it in footwell)

image.png.adfb414d15528718a0d2683f8becd556.png

image.png.eee48770164be46f20c5fa78728a3873.png

Blue bag above is tent in footwell. Large red bag contains clothes for the trip and my helmet. Red bag behind the driver's seat is my 'day sack' with passport, license, V5 etc in. Then when stopping, sat nat, wheel, wallet etc, goes into the bag.

For our 2022 trip to the Alps- no tent required. Red bag is just clothes. Though I've put my DSLR Camera and lens in the footwell and my red day rucksack there too. This was for a 11 day trip.

image.png.ad0969419c530ab0db0672dc0eb6bdba.png

Helmet is now carried on rear of car and this box can be used to secure sat nat, Insta X2 camera etc, out of sight-

image.png.2f14e51a9fa023b13228121fe417b036.png 

• 5 months later...

2 guys, 1 week camping in Le Mans 6 years on the bounce, and this car has no boot. Had I been alone, all that would have fitted in the passenger space even with the seat in place. There would have been one less deck chair and one less sleeping bag but all the rest (IE enough luggage for 2) would have fitted in the passenger side... :oops:

DSCN3255 crop.jpg

• Like 2