MX-5 MK1 Rocketeer

Rory's Dad

Introduction

Here for sale is my classic Mazda MX-5 Mk 1 in ‘Brilliant Black’ with the highly-acclaimed Rocketeer V6 conversion. No expense has been spared in trying to make this into one of the best high-performance sports cars it could be. It was designed to replace my Westfield, a job it's done just brilliantly. Sadly I now have to sell it due to my deteriorating eyesight.

It is ‘P’ registered (1996) and originally had a 1.6 engine. It was in lovely condition and had done just 67,664 miles when I bought it in February 2020. I soon booked it in with Rocketeer in Hungerford (now near Whitchurch, Hants) for their full turn-key conversion which was completed in June 2020. The mileage is now 74,500. The next MOT is due in June 2023. During a recent trip, a tankful averaged 29mpg which pleased me greatly. It weighs just 960kg which is no more than the cast iron engined car it once was. The 50:50 weight distribution, compliant ride and the legendary chuckability of the MX-5 is therefore unchanged.

Engine Bay

Rocketeer installed one of their completely rebuilt, fully balanced and blue-printed all-alloy Jaguar AJ30 3 litre V6s, a new front subframe and a new catalytic converter and Cobalt dual exit stainless steel exhaust. This over-square and therefore naturally high-revving engine now makes about 270 bhp at 6,750rpm, tops out at 7,250rpm and has 240ft lbs of torque at 3,500rpm. It's all managed by a brand new MBE ECU and engine loom. The car came with an MX-5 Parts/IL Motorsport high-performance polished alloy radiator and I have since fitted their bonnet lifters and a DaveFab washer bottle, brake stopper and radiator cowl. The fuel pressure regulator has been upgraded to a Fuelab version and I have also fitted a 13 row oil cooler and remote filter with all Mocal parts supplied and manufactured by Think Automotive of Ashford. It all fits into the engine bay very neatly and looks just like an original factory installation. The red painted cam covers and dual carbon inlet manifolds look particularly good.

Drivetrain, brakes, wheels and tyres

The excellent 5 speed gearbox has been retained but Rocketeer installed a Mk 2 prop, an essential 3.9 Torsen LSD and matching half shafts. They also installed new Wilwood Dynalite 4-pot ventilated disc brakes and callipers to the front and replacement Mk 2 discs and callipers to the rear. It therefore now stops as well as it goes. The car came with new Vmaxx adjustable height coilovers set at 30mm below standard height. The standard anti-roll bars and rubber bushings were still in good condition and the alignment and geometry was returned to Factory settings. I replaced the original wheels with lightweight gloss black Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s and Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/50 r15 tyres supplied by Wheelbase Alloys Ltd of Chadderton to improve the road-holding and handling still further. There is about 5mm remaining on all tyres.

Bodywork

I paid Rocketeer to undertake some minor remedial work to the sills. They inspected the rest of the bodyshell snd it was found to be absolutely fine with no more patches of rust anywhere. Nevertheless, I have subsequently applied Dinitrol Cavity Wax inside the sills and other hollow sections, underseal where required and Lanoguard spray on the floors and wheel arches. This will ensure that rust will not be an immediate concern. Rocketeer also fitted a pair of Jass Performance stainless steel frame rails. I installed a pair of reasonably expensive LED pop-up head lights from Amazon which have integral ‘Halo’ DRLs and amber indicators. I also fitted MX-5 Parts/IL Motorsport LED replacement clear rear light units, side repeaters and side markers. The existing sidelights and indicators now have LED bulbs. A pair of their chrome covers are fitted to the mirrors. It came with a new black mohair hood and I have fitted a new bigger battery in the boot. The largely monochromatic black and chrome exterior is much admired. 

Interior

The main upgrade is the provision of a pair of lightweight Lusso Motors RCC Mk3 black fibreglass seats with black ‘Alcantara’ diamond stitched pads. These seats are firm, give plenty of sideways support but are comfortable and have the advantage of a much lower seating position. I also fitted a Nardi black alloy and ‘Alcantara’ steering wheel. There is also a black G C Fabrications roll bar for extra chassis stiffness and crash protection. To bring the car right up to date with satnav, Spotify and hands-free phone apps etc. Rocketeer installed a Pioneer double-din touch screen unit, aerial, rear camera and a Thatcham Category 1 immobiliser. I have also fitted an internal switch for the new electric boot release, a chrome gear knob, gear lever surround, handbrake handle and an upgraded instrument cluster from MX5 Parts/IL Motorsport and Jass Performance. Finally there is a SPA digital combined oil pressure and temperature gauge from Demon Tweeks. These changes have turned the appearance of a mass-market sports car into something much more bespoke.

Spares and Servicing

I have parts that still need to be installed. Firstly, the rather dull door cards. I have some more diamond stitched ‘Alcantara’, a remote locking kit and some alternative horizontal armrests waiting to be fitted. I also need to improve the stiff window winders. I also have some anti-drum sheets for the inside of the doors and have already fitted some Delrin bushes. Secondly, I have an MX5 Parts/IL Motorsport front lip and replacement bumper stays and also an Ebay small rear spoiler.  Thirdly I have some self-adhesive insulation for the boot lid and bonnet to counteract condensation and sound transmission. And finally more spares, including the OE seats for refitting if required, sunshades, etc. Finally, the car has of course been cleaned and serviced regularly with an oil change every six months. The next MOT is due in June 2023.

Purpose

I have travelled down to Cornwall and up to Yorkshire on several occasions - it is now a proper, comfortable and long-legged sports car. Driving it is effortless too so I can pop to the shops and gently explore our wonderful local countryside. Whatever the purpose, this is an analogue, visceral car. You get direct, first-hand sensations from its steering, suspension and dynamic performance - especially on track. The first time I went to Snetterton in October 2021 it was to safely explore the handing at its limit. However, the desirability of an oil cooler also became apparent. The second time, in June 2022, was to explore the handling again(!) and to prove that driving this car flat out on the track did not now cause the car to overheat.

Price

This MX-5 is priced to sell at £18,000 ovno. This is less than I paid Rocketeer. But, in relative terms, compare this fabulous sports car with any other half-decent front-engined convertible such as a Honda S2000, some BMWs, most TVRs or Morgans and you’ll find that they are slower, more expensive or both.

But I’ve forgotten to mention the very best bit of all. It’s better than anything on any of the cars listed above. It was eloquently summarised by Evo Magazine who said that it had “...one of the best soundtracks I’ve heard from a car in years!” But it isn’t noisy (92dB static at 3,500rpm as tested at Snetterton). But put your foot hard down and you can tell it means some serious business. And as it reaches 7,000rpm, it is producing the most engaging and spine-tingling howl you will ever have heard. And once it’s been heard, it won’t be forgotten.

PXL_20210819_140836504.jpg

731361556_PXL_20220809_0938455213.jpg

1598129822_PXL_20220809_0938254553.jpg

1719006188_PXL_20220809_0938116733.jpg

158079126_PXL_20220809_093729197.MP3.jpg

PXL_20220809_093437144.jpg

• Like 7

GLWTS

Wow these are just brilliant. If only I could sell the wife & my 5 year old I would snap this up in a heart beat. But I'm led to believe that these kind of actions are frowned upon? 🤣

Good luck with the sale, can't imagine it will hang around for long. The sound these engines make is just epic!

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.