Car suggestions in canada

JonnyBoy

Well, come June 15th, i'm off to Whistler Canada for a year to be a posh ski bum.

Unfortuneately I will have to leave my car behind as the costs and legalities are too great to even consider doing it :(

(import tax, sale tax, cost of shipping)

So, I want a car that will do to semi-offset my longing for the westfield.

Been thinking about an MGB,midget, miata (mx5), rx7, golf cabriolet but I dont want to spend huge amounts of cash bearing in mind that I am just finishing uni and my overdraft is quite big ;)

I saw an MGB on the BC autotrader for 2800CAD - 1200ukp that 'looks' pretty sturdy. I was thinking this might make an interesting project to stick a w**kel or zetec in.

Any other cars that might worth considering? Bearing in mind that we already have a 4.2l wrangler to play off road in!

The other issue that arises is .......do i sell my car before I go??

I am there for a year...but if any oportunities arise then I am thinking about staying for longer. So even if i come back after a year, my car will be worth less (as in 'not as much..not 'nothing';) so do i sell and build another if i come back, or keep it and let my dad use it whilst i'm not here and ship it out if i stay...toughy huh! :(  ???

or keep it and let my dad use it whilst i'm not here

Sounds like a good idea  ;)  :D  :)  :D  I'm sure JonnyBoy Snr will enjoy it and treat it with the utmost respect until you decide on what to do  ;)  :D  :)

He most certainly will enjoy it but he's not the best at looking after his cars!

Ah well...i guess he deserves to be allowed to drive it at some time as he does own half of it :D  :p

Plan of action :

- keep the Westfield

- "accidentally" lose the keys...  ;)   OR

- charge him for the depreciation he'll cause by using your half of the car

- buy a cheap MX5 with this new found income

- forget *any* ideas of getting an MGB !!

Hi nick...clearly i've not resolved my issues.

How much can i expect to pay for a miata out there? as a rough guide. as i can always buy a US sourced car and take it over. Seattle is only 5hrs or so from me...so JohnCH may also be able to help. - or rent me his motor ;) although after his girlfriend mistake..he may not be too keen

BC autotrader is showing a 92 miata for 11000cad- ouch.

cheapest ive seen in ontario is 6500cad for a 91

Wife had an MX5.  Forget any thoughts of a 'B' vs a MX5.

FWIW over here I'd much rather an early "Eunos" than a 'B'

But then I've only driven the 1.8L so can't comment on the 1.6's running dodgy stateside brewed fuel ( !!!!!!! )

Anyone tells you the MX5 is only for girls hasn't driven one (IMO)

If you can't get one in Canada - look out for a MK1 Toyota MR2.  Even the "normal" one has an easily FULLY removable sunroof (moonroof in the handbook !;) ) so long as you know how to remove it and stow it in the front "trunk" and again - I chose this setup than the rather leaky T-Bar variant. when I had my MK1 MR2 & its a piece of pizz to remove & stow too.

Oh - and invest in decent spec tyres for either - as they are 185/60 R14's normally they'll be cheap

HTH

Warren