Westfield Sports Cars have gone into Administration

Sean Nock

3 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

I agree Mark and in these early stages I feel it would be beneficial for the WSCC to open communications with the administrator if only to make them aware of our existence at this time but likewise to gain an insight into the direction of things in the future and whether there would be opportunities for the club to acquire certain assets from them if a buyer isn’t found.

@Scott Young (Captain Colonial) - Club Secretary  @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman you likewise have my number and if you find in the future that there is a need for an archivist within the club I’d be happy to step up and help.  To a certain extent but on a much smaller scale I’ve already been through similar when I acquired The rights etc to my JW4 racing cars so know what could be involved in documenting and recording records.

I emailed the administrator yesterday (I'm owed some parts) and they responded quickly and courteously, so I expect a club representative opening discussions or just reaching out would also be well received and  very good idea, especially if suggestions are made on how that representative could help the situation or the brand perhaps. As the administrator only got appointed yesterday morning I suspect they are still formulating a plan of action. 

• Like 1

Just a thought: Sure there are many builders out there with uncompleted projects and parts still required.

As many of the parts are supplied by third party companies, could a list of these be drawn up with contact telephone numbers and put on a locked thread for members to contact and obtain what they need. Its quite possible a number of these suppliers are on the creditors lists and would welcome the business to recoup monies and keep going themselves.

As far as I am aware all parts were outsourced with nothing made in house.

Sorry if this gives the Comm an initial headache, however, with the extensive knowledge the club has surely this is time to pull together for all our new builders, if everyone compiled a list and emailed it over for editing and posting.

Thanks

• Like 2

@Blatman@Alex Gaskin I collected my Westfield  from Tiger earlier today and I had an opportunity to chat to Jim about Westfield falling into liquidation (which was news to me at the time).  Whilst he thought it was likely that parts of the business would be sold as going concerns, I think he was planning to get in touch with the administrators at some point.

I’ve found Tiger racing to be massively helpful and passionate about what they do.  I know it’s all still early days, but I’m sure they’d be receptive to someone from the club making contact. I would have thought that there might be some opportunities there that could be of mutual benefit, in the event the business isn’t sold as a going concern. 

• Like 1

There is very little I can give by way of update at the moment, other than to confirm I've already reached out to Mark Bowen at the insolvency practioners.

Already spoken to Jim at Tiger Racing, just trying to reach out to MK at the moment.

We will put up a second thread with details of such offers, as and when.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Spacedoggy said:

I collected my Westfield  from Tiger earlier today

Funnily enough Luke, Jim did mention you! (not by name of course).

15 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

There is very little I can give by way of update at the moment, other than to confirm I've already reached out to Mark Bowen at the insolvency practioners.

Already spoken to Jim at Tiger Racing, just trying to reach out to MK at the moment.

We will put up a second thread with details of such offers, as and when.

Dave i have also been in touch with the Insolvency people but am yet to have a replay

• Like 1

If any builders or purchasers of parts have paid for bits and not recieved them it may well be worth you contacting your bank or card provider.

Yes credit cards give better section 75 protection but even debit card purchases can be pursued through your bank via the charge back scheme. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

If any builders or purchasers of parts have paid for bits and not recieved them it may well be worth you contacting your bank or card provider.

Yes credit cards give better section 75 protection but even debit card purchases can be pursued through your bank via the charge back scheme. 

This is a great shout, I’ve used the chargeback scheme with debit a few times and the banks were really understanding and rapid. 

Now spoken to  Neil at MK Racing/Kit Car Direct; who was also extremely sympathetic and helpful.

I'm going to start putting a separate page together for this. Please note though, it will be a developing thing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I've only been building for 8 months but am lucky that I have all my parts (I think!). I'm particularly sorry for Ian, Daniel and Tom who have all been very helpful already, and also Judy in the office who was great when I was arranging delivery. Very sad times.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thread here, for trade offers of help, and parts suppliers as we build the list.

We don't, and likely never will know the true causes, and can only see the effects... first and foremost for the employees. It's a shame we can only offer sympathy, and sympathy won't pay any mortgages.

As actions from our club, I would only ask that we protect the supply of unique parts that keep our Westfields on the road. I'm thinking bodywork, wishbones, brackets, WF uprights and replacement chassis. Anything the aftermarket supply chain cannot fill basically, and I'm pretty sure there's already crossover in just that small list! I suspect the club should only own the IP for those parts and outsource the fabrication to ensure financial exposure is small. Even then, only to take action if a commercial buyer cannot be found...

Best of luck to those affected - both employees and customers mid-build.

The more fervently active the club members are in the eyes of the administrators, the more they may realise that there is a very lively and enthusiastic membership out there, and therefore business to be had for the company if a buyer can be found. Conversely, a torpid and apathetic club membership would suggest the business is in the doldrums anyway. So, to paraphrase the desk sergeant from Hill Street Blues: "Let's be fanatical out there!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Funnily enough Luke, Jim did mention you! (not by name of course).

First time I’ve taken a car to a garage and come back with a free soft back autobiography from the owner! 🤣

In all honesty though, the Westfields/Sevens/Kit Car community wasn’t anything I even a gave a second thought to when I bought it.  But the people have been brilliant, and the car itself seems to attract positive attention wherever it goes.

Hopefully Westfield will find another buyer, but I’m greatly reassured to see yet another example of that community pulling together to make things work and help each other out.  👍