lsd

deano.1

right, i have searched and am now really confused with lodsa conflicting stuff.

Q I bought a Sierra 2.0glsi as a donor car because i was told that it had all round discs and a lsd, is this correct, or can someone please tell me a reliable way to tell now that the diff is on the floor.

Obviously i am capable of telling if it has discs all round  :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stu999

• deano.1

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• adhawkins

Turn one of the output flanges in the normal direction of rotation and the other flange shoud turn in the same direction, if its a non LSD it will rotate in the opposite direction.

I have a thread running on the same lines in Techie Talk. Take a look there.

Andy

Turn one of the output flanges in the normal direction of rotation and the other flange shoud turn in the same direction, if its a non LSD it will rotate in the opposite direction.

As long as it isnt still fitted in the car and it is in gear....  :p

IIRC *some* 2.0 GLSi Sierras had LSD's fitted. A mate of mine bought one for a Locost donor and that didnt have one fitted.

So is that a reliable test then? My diff is on the garage floor atm.

How much effort is required to turn the output flanges?

Andy

It's a question of direction rather than stiffness, a non-lsd will always have the two output flanges turning in opposite directions, the lsd, they will rotate in the same direction.

Yeah, but will they turn by hand, or will it need some 'assistance'?

Andy

Yeah, but will they turn by hand, or will it need some 'assistance'?

Mine sat on the bench, just tried it, and it turns easily by hand

Mine sat on the bench, just tried it, and it turns easily by hand

Excellent, I'll give it a go tonight.

Let's hope the other one turns the same way... :0

Andy

To clarify-because I'm confused now too....  :D

If the diff is out of the car, and sat on your bench, turn a drivesahft flange and observe what happens.

If the flange on the other side of the diff immediately turns the opposite way, it probably isnt an LSD.

If the propshaft flange begins to turn, and the other flange turns the same way as the one you are 'driving', you have an LSD in front of you.

If the other flange stays put, and the propshaft flange turns, it is probably a 'free' diff. But grab the other flange, and either hold still, or try and turn them both in opposite directions. If it is met with a lot of resistance, either a) its knackered, or b) it's an LSD.

HTH Stu.

So assuming that i have a standard 71/2" open diff same as Dan with a 3.9 ratio, is this gonna be any good or do i go buy a LSD ?

Or is it gonna be easy enough to change at a later date with all the bodywork installed? :bangshead:  :bangshead:

They are usually 7 inch AFAIK. But anything probably gets fitted at the factory when the parts bin runs short.... :)

The most recent Westfield chassis will accept both sizes of diff. I presume this will also apply to SDV's too. If the measurement between the top mounts equates to 7.5", jobs a goodun :t-up:

You dont *need* an LSD. But they do help make the car more 'drivable' especailly with more powerful engines.

And of course, you WILL need one for donuts  :D