ADR 1000

steve wilson

There's an article in the april issue of cars & c c.I like the look of it but wouldnt want a bmw 1000 engine in it. What do you all think

Whats the issue with this British attempt to offer an affordable track day car.

The engineering looks well thought out as the front suspension photos show.

XTR2 competitor, so what, BMW bike engine, so what,

Its British and entrepreneurial and all these cars rely upon user development feedback.

IMO Westfield depend upon (and always have) feedback from users of standard cars and XTR2 `developers`

Again IMO they are slow to react........

IMHO  :angry:  :angry:  :0

I spent quite a while looking at the ADR rolling chassis at the autosport show.

It was IRS, so dont think it was the ADR1000, maybe it was the Sport thingummy.

But looked georgeous. Really nice suspension design, rockers and pushrods IIRC. Some lovely gold anodised parts.

I was thinking it'd make a bargain trackday car alternative to the current LMP stylees. Lighter and cheaper...

Even took some piccies, so must've been impressed!

Cheers,

Al.

1700quid for the basic one, from Farringdon or Stack...

...so yes!!

Fruck the steering wheel, look at that gold anodising!!

to get back to the original question, I can see why they had to use a Morris Minor back axle for the race series it's just that it is errr *antiquated* to put it mildly and the BMW bike engine isn't very good in the bike never mind a car!  ;)  lots of vibration and not a lot of power and it smokes like crazy if you start it up on the sidestand after standing for a while  ;)  and it really is not a nice engine 'brick' is a compliment ;)

as the article says, put an independent rear and a Kawa ZX1200 in it and it would be something worth looking at  :cool:  :D  :D

lots of vibration and not a lot of power and it smokes like crazy if you start it up on the sidestand after standing for a while    and it really is not a nice engine 'brick' is a compliment

You can always spot some-one who's waaaay behind with bike stuff..................

BMW cured the "smokes after side stand deployed" in about 1988 (you can't start a Beemer on the side stand, 'cos it has a cut out switch, assuming it hasn't been disconnected). The early K100's (1000cc) were definitely buzzy, though. The later 16 valve 1.0l engines were much better, and the 1100cc and current 1200cc engines are creamy smooth, and can be chipped to improve bhp, up to about 140-150, or so I'm lead to believe.

I haven't had a K series engine do less than 120,000 miles since 1986, and I'm on my 5th, which is the lowest mileage yet at a mere 82000ish miles. They've all been oil tight, and I've ragged the **** out of all of them, as only a London despatch rider can.............There's nowt wrong with 'em........in the right hands (mine) it'll p*** on all comers in a race across London in the rush hour.........

:p  :D

You can always spot some-one who's waaaay behind with bike stuff..................

yep, that'll be me then  ;)   ho hum....

I last rode a K series Beemer in about 1989 whilst running a VFR when a friend who had been invited to a Demo day at a dealers wanted me to go along with him. My wife hated the high pitched whistle it made and, curiously, she didn't like the vibration either :D - I think it must have been at the wrong frequency ;)

Unless I misread the bit in the link though, the engine wasn't exactly chosen as enforced by the 750MC - so odds on if someone wants something different for a different series/trackday car, they'd oblige.  Us brits are often helpful & co-operative aren't we!

:love: the gold anodising  :love:

The ADR1000 is was built specifically for the 750MC BMW engined race series. The reason that engine was chosen was price. It is understressed and costs £500 from a breaker. It should prove incredibly reliable.

ADR will put in a Busa engine or others in the Sport version.

The reason for the "Morris Minor" Diff in the IRS version is the fact that it is lighter than anything else available. I assume you realise that the only thing Morris Minor about it is the physical casing. New Diff Internals, LSD if required and New Crown Wheel and Pinion assembly in various ratios. Oh, the Output shafts are different too.

Jon