car or small van

Richard (OldStager)

hi all,

i am in need of a car or small van to start the clearance of a late uncle's house / garage , the westy is not going to cut it this time.

thinking sub 1000 pound ish and pref as local as possible to the blackpool  / west lancs area's. been looking on the usual sites but i have a deep mistrust of dealers so prefer not to use one.

would consider somewhere farther away if right vehicle is available - the wirral would be a good location as well , since that's where the house is..

i have considered renting something, but since i don't know how many trips i will need to make i figured buying would be the best solution.

post what you may have available in the coming month or so.

richard

Look for a Citroen Berlingo as they hold same as a van and tips have no restrictions.

Worth considering British Heart Foundation for big stuff and the rest, but we sold a lot via Facebook market place. 

Also look at the cost of a skip or local waste carrier, check licence so no come back

and finally house clearance companies often not too bad cost wise. 

• Thanks 1

Van prices appear to have gone even more crazy than cars at the moment and a budget that small won’t buy you too much in the current market and certainly not something that’s been looked after and without issues.

I’m looking for a small van myself (transit courier) as I’m planning a career change later in the year. Doing my research and looking at the MoT history of ones in the £6-£8K price bracket most have long failure history which suggests they’ve been poorly maintained and some with serious failure issues.

as Jeff suggests I’d be looking at people carriers and taking the back seats out. They’ll be a lot more to choose from.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jeff oakley said:

Look for a Citroen Berlingo as they hold same as a van and tips have no restrictions.

Worth considering British Heart Foundation for big stuff and the rest, but we sold a lot via Facebook market place. 

Also look at the cost of a skip or local waste carrier, check licence so no come back

and finally house clearance companies often not too bad cost wise. 

my last company vehicle was a belingo and i loved it, that was the proper van version though. annoyingly i did have chance to buy one some years ago, but the finances at the time just could not reach that far sadly. but a great van.

thinking of taking a lot of the stuff to oxfam and the likes, although i would like to offer random items via here with a contribution to our charities , but need to see if the rest of the family are ok with that arrangement first.

i may be staying down there for a while as my cousins have families of their own to look after and with me on my tod all the time it made sense to offer my help clearing the property, my only sticking point is my dog who continues to carry on, seemingly in no distress at his failing legs.

i had not considered a people carrier with the rear seats removed, thank you good idea.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.