rotary polishers

JonnyBoy

are the 12v rotary polishers that halfrauds sell any good?

i'm currently trying to polish the wet and dry hazing out of my gel coat around the repair but i've got tired arms...and i'm no where near back to a good finish!!

any other tips and tricks.

i used well used 1200grade w&d for the final rub down and have used t-cut and brasso but it is still wanting for more attention. gave it a couple of coats of polish too to see if that was the answer but hmmm not quite.

TIA

You really need to use 2000 W&D and then start using a rubbing compound like T-Cut, Autoglym paint renovator or some other similar product.  Not tried Brasso personally so not sure what it's like.

Don't use anything too abrasive after the final bit of W&Ding and don't be afraid to go back and re-do the W&D to remove any imperfections.

It's a slow process and one where patience is a real virtue.

Also :

- don't press the W&D too hard

- try and use a sanding block if possible - otherwise your fingers can seek out low spots while not necessarily removing high points

- build up from 800, to 1200 and then to 2000 grade papers

- don't press too hard when polishing with the rubbing compound

- keep using clean polish and cloths

- once you've got a satisfactory finish then use Autoglym Super Resin polish or some such wax to seal the surface and bring back the shine.

I really *wouldn't* use a rotary polisher - it will in all likely hood leave swirl patterns or little trails in the gelcoat which is, generally speaking, softer than a modern paint finish.

On a slightly different tack, but I was looking at these polishers myself yesterday......

I'm removing the subtle ( ;) ) graphics on the side, but as expected I have a problem with the colour underneath being different(darker) - I was going to mention fading but that will only get those canary yeller blokes going again......

Anyway, other than wet & dry, then t-cut, then Autoglym, anyone got any other suggestions......?

:t-up:  :t-up:

if the bodywork has faded....you are gonna have a s**t load of t-cutting to do to bring the rest of the bodywork back to the colour under the stickers!!

mask off the areas surrounding the letters and leave the car in the sun for a week...or just drive the car around covered in tape except where the letters were for the next 5 years...and there you have it...equilibrium restored

:p  :sheep:  :durr:  :D

chrisbin

I think that you will find that Red cars are the worst for fading, hopefully you should not have tooooo much of a problem.

Thers only one way to find out. :0  :blush:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:

Andy :zzz:

Hi Andy

I think you're right about red cars.

I agree about trial and error - I started by taking off the dot over the i on one side....and it wasn't too bad.....

Have now progressed to taking off the 16V  :0  This involves a larger area so if I find its not giving a good enough result, then thats where I will stop!

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any special recommendations for products.

Jonny - although its a largeish area, its only where the letters are/were, so not as bad as if it were a "block" IYSWIM

I'm just confused as to how you hope to dull down that area without leaving a bad finish??

normally you work the other way round....renovating a dull area to make it bright, not degrading a bright area to make it dull....if you see what i'm saying..

I may well have got the wrong end of the stick though :blush:

It might be quite effective to leave it...like pearlescent paint...if you catch it in the right light, you will see the letters.. :cool:

I'm just confused as to how you hope to dull down that area without leaving a bad finish??

normally you work the other way round....renovating a dull area to make it bright, not degrading a bright area to make it dull....if you see what i'm saying..

I may well have got the wrong end of the stick though :blush:

It might be quite effective to leave it...like pearlescent paint...if you catch it in the right light, you will see the letters.. :cool:

Hmmm I see where you're coming from Jonny, but all I am trying to do is "blend" it. Both areas are bright, but the colour is just slightly different.

I quite like your suggestion re leaving it as shadow writing so to speak, but I think I've been too succesful on the bits I've done already.... ???  ???  :(

I shall just keep rubbing......... :blush: