Garridge floor covering

samcooke

After five months of general p******** about with solicitors and stoopid house sellers I've finally taken possession of my new double garage (apparantly there was some sort of living accommodation that came with it too).

I want a nice easy to maintain floor that's ideally wipeable (I've got a crossflow), hard wearing and not obscenely expensive.

Any recommendations?

I had 'normal' garage floor paint out of Wickes in my old one and it was crap, it lifted off straight away under the tyres, despite me following the instructions to the letter.

Lino?  ;)

I had 'normal' garage floor paint out of Wickes in my old one and it was crap

??? .....err, what did you expect from Wickes?

:) .....now, go and buy yourself some decent quality garage floor paint, make sure you prime the surface correctly then paint on 3 coats. If that doesn't stay put then I will nominate Mr Stanton to eat his hat.

go and buy yourself some decent quality garage floor paint

Give us a clue gimp boy...

What particular brand is in the Pisspot garage?

Hmm...

If I hadn't recently painted my garage floor I'd have gone to the local carpet fitters and got a nice big bit of used lino, fresh out of someones (big) kitchen. You could always join two pieces.

Water and oil will wipe off nicely and it'll keep the dust down, as well as giving a nice surface to lie on.

Minghis.

I used the wickes stuff as a quick job when I moved in and it's stayed down fine apart from a few places where the concrete was uneven to start.

I think the best advice is to make sure it's sealed properly before you paint

I'll get my hat  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D  ;)

Herberts do a range of quality industrial paints  :D

Cleaning and priming is the key - the concrete should be thoroughly cleaned of all dust and contaminates  ;)  :D

A google search for Herberts Paint will reveal all  :D  ;)  ;)

Used extensively in construction industry and no not for doors and windows type stuff  ;)  :)  :D

Two pack, epoxy paint gets my recommendation.

Mines been down 18months and hasnt lifted AT ALL...

The stuff I've got is called Penguard Jotun, I got it from Lawsons Paint and Racking in Southampton.

50quid for 2 large tins, which did my single garage.

They'll mix it in any colour you like too.  :cool:

Easy to lay down too. You just tip it all into the middle of the garage and distribute it with a roller.

Cheers,

Al.

Fifty quids worth of paint, plus the time and hassle wire brushing off the old crud the previous owners put down, then priming, then painting, it'd be much easier to fit a floor covering...

Any reason I shouldn't use some sort of vinyl flooring? Other than it being a bit slippy.

:durr:

Clean it

Acid etching fluid

Loads of water

Dry

Concrete sealant

Dry

Concrete sealant

Dry

Garage Floor paint

Dry

Garage floor paint

also consider self leveling cement

also consider resin stuff.

Herberts do a range of quality industrial paints  

Cleaning and priming is the key - the concrete should be thoroughly cleaned of all dust and contaminates    

:0 .....the man knows his paint and prep.

Any reason I shouldn't use some sort of vinyl flooring? Other than it being a bit slippy.

??? ....because it collects mildew underneath (smells), slippery when wet, gets holes in which you trip over,  not solvent proof, petrol and oil damage it and lime in concrete interacts with vinyl.  

:arse:....however, it's biggest down-fall is that it looks so, so naff.

because it collects mildew underneath (smells), slippery when wet, gets holes in which you trip over,  not solvent proof, petrol and oil damage it and lime in concrete interacts with vinyl.  

Other than that it's OK though?

No sense of style you lot.  Get your priorities right - proper wood flooring is the only way to go, and get the central heating put in whilst you're at it.  You will spend more time in there than in the house anyway.