Broadband Fiewalls

McSpreader

Hi,

I am getting my broadband access next week - and have it on good authority that I should get a virus checker & firewall.  However, do I need both??

Any suggestions as to a good brand.  Being able to download over the net would be ideal.

Thanks

Si ;)

ZoneAlarm (firewall) from here

AVG (anti-virus) from here

Both free I believe.

And yes, you need both.

Andy

If you run Windows XP, the built-in firewall is excellent - provided you can figure out how to activate it, that is.  I run broad band and it's safe behind that one.

So, how exactly do you activate it?

goto the

start menu,

goto control panel,

goto network connections

right click on your dial-up connection

goto the last tab 'advanced'

the option is there.  I do not know how effective it is though.  I recently installed the Norton Personal Firewall (thanks Kazaa  :blush: ) and was amazed at just how many attacks you get, no broadband connection should be without a firewall of some description IMO.

OOps,

Nearly forgot

Norton 2002 for viruses, tried McAfee and others but came back to Norton cos its virus definition updates are the best.

:)  :)

Double oops

If you`ve got XP.......

Tools

Internet options

Connections

Settings

Properties

Advanced (ensure firewall box is ticked)

:blush:  :blush:

tried McAfee and others but came back to Norton cos its virus definition updates are the best.

MrsG would strongly disagree with that comment but as she is biased  ;)  I won't say any more  :cool:  :D

Oh, and we use McAfee Desktop firewall  ;)  very good at stopping anything getting through  :love:  :D  :D

I woke up this morning and found that the firewall didnt start automatically on one of my pc's but the broadband did, my own fault for not checking after the reboot.  Checking the security logs last night from 23:45 to 02:59 I had an attempt to login to my PC every 20/21 seconds to gain file share access over the internet.  Thankfully all accounts are renamed with extremly difficult passwords.....happy surfing non firewall people. :devil: