Correct way to tie down a car to a trailer

NickBW

Hi all

First trackday is on the 8th June and i am already trying to plan and get things sorted.  One question i have is how do i tie my Westfield down securely to my BJ Minno trailer?

Does anyone have any photos on the best way to do this?

I have not ties a car to this trailer yet so i am conscious i need to get this right as i might get to Snet without a car to drive!

I have 4 new straps but how do i securely tie the car down?

Do i leave the handbrake on the westfield?

I have normal 4tonne rated ratchet straps but have seen people use lasso straps.  Would these be better?

Thanks

Nick

34 minutes ago, NickBW said:

Those are certainly good to have, as they can then be used on any trailer, to secure the wheels.

Personally, where it's your own trailer, and mainly used for the same car, I like the webbing bridge strap/Staple approach best, these bolt to the trailer, in front of each wheel that you want to tie down, they then let you feed the tie down strap underneath, before it runs up and over the tyre and down the other side. this way the straps are always tensioned down on the tyre's surface and there's no risk to bodywork, brake lines etc behind each wheel.

I'll try and find a photo...

I've not found the exact one yet, this uses extra hooks in place of the bridge straps, but shows you how the tie down goes over the wheel.

Tie-down-wheel-sleeve.jpg

Not a great image, but these are an example of the fixed type bridge straps you can bolt to the trailer, to feed the tie downs through.

images.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Those are certainly good to have, as they can then be used on any trailer, to secure the wheels.

Personally, where it's your own trailer, and mainly used for the same car, I like the webbing bridge strap/Staple approach bes, these bolt to the trailer, in front of each wheel that you want to tie down, they then let you feed the tie down strap underneath, before it runs up and over the tyre and down the other side. this way the straps are always tensioned down on the tyre's surface and there's no risk to bodywork, brake lines etc behind each wheel.

I'll try and find a photo...

Great thanks.  A photo will really help!  Thanks Dave!

This is how I do, handbrake on, in gear. With the winch on the front round the chassis. 

2A8AFDAF-50BE-470F-AD88-38C24BF49B60.thumb.jpeg.82e23e337917494e31ccd8cb96589b32.jpeg6C6D013E-6E4C-4E8C-AD7E-D338D9564740.thumb.jpeg.07ef87ba922b9c31bddd06ee35696e09.jpeg

3ED7F4EF-3AF2-4164-B4AB-26DD237204E3.thumb.jpeg.9a2ad655f8ea8a0501f2a7ffd124f375.jpeg

It’s very important to stop after a mile or two to check the straps are still tight. They can sometimes settle. 

• Like 2

Oh and once it’s all strapped on, the most important step is to shake the car and say out loud “that’s not going anywhere”

Do not miss out this key step. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Rush Motorsport said:

This is how I do, handbrake on, in gear. With the winch on the front round the chassis. 

2A8AFDAF-50BE-470F-AD88-38C24BF49B60.thumb.jpeg.82e23e337917494e31ccd8cb96589b32.jpeg6C6D013E-6E4C-4E8C-AD7E-D338D9564740.thumb.jpeg.07ef87ba922b9c31bddd06ee35696e09.jpeg

3ED7F4EF-3AF2-4164-B4AB-26DD237204E3.thumb.jpeg.9a2ad655f8ea8a0501f2a7ffd124f375.jpeg

It’s very important to stop after a mile or two to check the straps are still tight. They can sometimes settle. 

So very, very true.

And a very good reason for being in gear and handbrake on.

• Like 1

I use straps similar to Russ..however I don't attach winch to chassis as this is spring and needs independent movement so I presume Russ has it lose as a final safety measure..

Also at the end of the day, if you come off track and drive straight onto the trailer, do not put hand brake on then with the discs still potentially hot or warm.. wait until they cool before putting hand brake on...

Not sure if you have standard belts or harness..but if harness make sure they are done up so buckles etc not flying around and damaging body work..

Also with the extra load in your car and trailer weight you made need a few psi in your car tyres...

I used to go across the wheel but now favour over the top as mentioned earlier. I purchased some additional hooks and it all feels very secure on 4 wheels.

91EE6C9C-1C0E-4326-8DF9-42639C913178.thumb.jpeg.34f022f3f829e35d0f2ee2e91a69dc97.jpeg

• Like 1

I would only strap the rear wheels to avoid stressing the suspension joints. The front can be anchored with a  winch strap in the middle but not by the wheels

29 minutes ago, John said:

I would only strap the rear wheels to avoid stressing the suspension joints. The front can be anchored with a  winch strap in the middle but not by the wheels

Didn’t know that. Will do so from now on. 

38 minutes ago, John said:

How would strapping the front wheels stress the suspension joints? 

11 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

How would strapping the front wheels stress the suspension joints? 

...because you are pulling the front and rear axles against each other and also by virtue of strapping both wheels on the same axles you are pulling them outwards in opposite directions (assuming you use the straps as shown in the pics above around the wheels). Over the top of the tyre on the rear axle worth is sufficient and the fronts wont move laterally or front / aft.

When i had my Westfield  had loops welded onto the corners of the chassis to hook the ends of a strap onto and didnt took the wheels at all