Newbie & Leaving The Car Unattended Q

stewartm

4 hours ago, Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO said:

generally these cars draw so much attention that those with bad intentions stay away.

As above mate IMHO....

Personally love the attention it gets and always happy for people to sit in it and have pictures taken....after asking obviously!

If you don't like attention or lots of questions, thumbs up and waves, a Westfield is not for you!

Mart.

• Like 1

I employ a sniper to sit in the nearest tree 

• Haha 4

Once again, many thanks for all the replies and info. It deals with one potential hurdle.

Will continue to read around the rest of the forum and hope to clear the remaining hurdles, before jumping in.

Cheers Stew.

I always carry a bike combination cable lock with me in the car, I secure my helmet and detachable wheel to the roll hoop if I leave the car unattended.

As others have said, you will struggle to even stop for fuel without having a chat with an interested stranger..... mind you, that of course happened to me all the time even before I got a Westfield 😎😂😂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO said:

it's not practical to take the steering wheel with me, I lock it under the bonne

Great idea, hadn't thought of that 👍

If I haven’t got anywhere safe to leave the steering wheel I tend to put it down my trousers.

It’s driving me nuts. 

• Haha 9

13 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

If I haven’t got anywhere safe to leave the steering wheel I tend to put it down my trousers.

It’s driving me nuts. 

Cable tie it to the bodywork mate - nobody would notice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I never had any issues.

Removed steering wheel when possible, if not then padlocked steering wheel to chassis.

Put doors on or cockpit cap to dissuade someone clambering in.

Park in most visible area, as Westfields stand out there's always some innocent parties looking at it to dissuade the less innocent.

• Like 1

21 years and 30,000 miles and never had a single problem.  If I leave it anywhere like a hotel car park I put a bike chain through the front wheel and wishbones.  Wouldn't stop someone lifting it away, but if they're that determined it's gonna go anyway

• Like 2

Must admit to leaving mine in all sorts of places, often leaving the action camera bolted to the roll bar by accident, which is stupidity on my part.....

9 times out of 10, come back to someone looking over it, followed by lots of questions and requests to sit in it etc....

Never once had any hint of a problem...

Plenty of scroats about everywhere, but I honestly believe these cars are not as desirable to nick as many would think...they are too obvious and too many people looking at them all the time....

A detachable steering wheel was high on my list, but once I had one, I never ever had the desire to remove it and walk around with it....locking it to a roll bar makes sense though.

Mart.

I had similar fears when I first built mine but soon realised a full tonneau was enough of a visual deterrent for most.

in later years I’d leave all sorts of valuables in the boot box whilst parked up in town centre car parks with the only security being half a dozen press studs.

30 years now and it was used as a daily for quite a few of those. Always had a roof or tonneau and a cheap alarm with a prominent flashing red LED. No problems so far.

Eta. No denying the fret level drops as the years pass, with the occasional up-tick at certain points like just after it got sprayed!