quickest?

JonnyBoy

This is sure an interesting topic...

There are all sorts of other factors to throw into the equation

Aerodynamics

Downforce

Stopping Ability

The size of the contact patch on the driven wheels

And in the case of the bike rider - how big are your 2 veg.

Does anyone know/know where to find the lap times or lap record for Donington for the last F1 race there.

I can't remember the last year it was held there (93 seems to ring a bell) but if you can find a lap time from the race you can compare that to the GP bike record from 91 (schwantz) which stood for about 10 years or so. His laptime was 1m33 and a bit seconds for the full circuit

I know this isn't exactly westy v streetbike but at least it gives a comparison for the two types of top level 2 wheels v 4 wheels debate

Cheers

Dave :D

Comparisons with an F1 car aren't really relevant (sorry !;), downforce is the major contributing factor to those super duper car times, last time I looked my Westie was lacking aero aids :)

Bikes are surely flawed for braking / accn what with the incredibly high centre of gravity causing big shifts in weight over one or other of the wheels.

Gary

In the EVO Trackcar of the Year comp they brought along a std 02 Fireblade (150ish hp I think) and only the Radical was quicker.

The part of Bedford used was a good mix - favoured the car in parts and the bike in others.

Bike was riden by a racer with, no doubt huge cajones though ;)

But that's on a dead flat track - somewhere like Donington I'd imagine it would be different. Think the world Superbikes do around 1.11 there?

I'm sure some nutter will now come along and confirm he can open his busa full in 1st.

FWIW, the Hayabusa has a restrictor (basically a rev limiter) that prevents full power from being available in 1st and I think 2nd gears.....when fitted to a car this can be disconnected as they are not likely to flip over backwards (unlike a bike)  :devil:  ;)

Not one to let these things lie (being a biker), I've just had a read through the Castle Combe circuit guide for 2003. It has some lap records listed..........

Fastest outright for a bike is 1.10:42, set in 1999, on a 750 Yamaha (an R7, on slicks I guess).

Fastest for a car is James Courtenay, in a 3.0l Dallara F3000 car (I guess) with a time 0.59:741.....

The "production car lap record" for the 'ring either is, or was, held by a c******m R500 at 7.55:21. So a road legal c******m, with aeroscreens and (probably) the softest road legal ACB10's they could find, would appear to be only 6 seconds slower than a (presumably) full race bike on slicks. Put a road bike on road tyres (softest possible of course), and I doubt it would beat a Se7en at the 'ring....or anywhere else for that matter  :devil:  :devil:

Now, if someone would like to lend me an R1 or a 'Busa, I'd happily wazz it around Cadwell, then jump in me hillclimb car and do some more laps for comparison. I'm sure my balls are big enough...........

Westfield..no doubt..Spending most of my time at the Nurburgring..the only track you get to see fast cars and bikes on circuit at the same time and having the opportunity to try out both..if you manage to get equal PTW ratio then the westfield will be quicker..as it has 4x more corner grip than a bike...the only reasons bikes are quicker than cars normally is acceleration and braking differences to cars...actual corner speed is normally slower...for an equally powerful car/bike...given the same driver/rider ability..

My 2 cents