Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD Sport

Bananaman

Sorry. can't comment on towing ability....

You reckon yours is "high maintenance".....you're spending about half of what I had to!!!! :(  :p  :(  :0

FWIW we looked at new Rav4 (it had just come out) and wife drove it, but said she didn't like it cos it was too car like...!!

I think old Rav looks very weird, but was supposed to perform well.

If looking for diesel you could try the Vitara.....Even more hairdressy, but surprisingly capable, but small inside.

Good Luck!

Hmmm... high maintenance?  My wife's board of the X5 (too high up for her 5'2 frame to keep throwing the kids into) and her A6 Avant diesel is just a bit too sluggish, despite having that cracking TDI engine.  So now she wants a bl**dy RS6 Avant.  I wouldn't mind but availability is so low that I'd need to pay a ridiculous premium to get hold of one ???

Another thought would be a Scoobie Forester Turbo as a good compromise.  Half estate, half 4x4 and goes like the clappers.  It's pretty good for towing as well although the interior leaves a little to be desired.  Not sure what secondhand availability is like although a new model came out relatively recently so you may be able to get a good price.

Hmmm... high maintenance?  My wife's board of the X5 (too high up for her 5'2 frame to keep throwing the kids into) and her A6 Avant diesel is just a bit too sluggish, despite having that cracking TDI engine.  So now she wants a bl**dy RS6 Avant.  I wouldn't mind but availability is so low that I'd need to pay a ridiculous premium to get hold of one ???

Another thought would be a Scoobie Forester Turbo as a good compromise.  Half estate, half 4x4 and goes like the clappers.  It's pretty good for towing as well although the interior leaves a little to be desired.  Not sure what secondhand availability is like although a new model came out relatively recently so you may be able to get a good price.

:D  :D

Well I can only blame you and your collection of toys for giving her unrealistic expectations....!!! ;)  ;)

I reckon Scooby is a cracking vehicle, but it really doesn't have the necessary image for our "significant other"s....!!

re. the Audi - just get an A6 Avant, stick some badges on, I'm sure she wouldn't notice difference........ :devil:  :devil:

re. the Audi - just get an A6 Avant, stick some badges on, I'm sure she wouldn't notice difference........  

Problem is she'd notice the performance gap as she generally drives like a complete nutter.  A couple of days after we picked up the X5 I had the unpleasant experience of following her "testing it out" along some windy lanes.  Not only was she getting within a hair's bredth of granite walls but was also going at a speed that I wasn't comfortable going :0  :0

It all stems from the fact that her A6 was outpaced off some lights by a people carrier.... one of those Zafira GSi Turbo jobbies.  :arse:  :arse:  It's disgraceful what these butter wouldn't melt stay at home mothers of three get up to  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

3.0 litre Isuzu Trooper - great tower and cruiser  :love:  Lots of buttons as well  :D  ;)

Mrs Albert has run the following 4x4s

Isuzu Trooper (old shape, 2.8td), 40,000 miles 27mpg, nothing ever broke

Isuzu Trooper (new shape, 3.0td), 40,000 miles, 26mpg, nothing ever broke, more comfortable

Honda HRV (1.6i), 8,000 miles, 28mpg, too small but great fun, nothing ever broke

Land Rover Freelander, (2.0td), 15,000 miles (and counting), 35mpg, nothing broke yet

Of these the new shape trooper was the best tow car, averaged 80mph with glider trailer (8m) on the back from Calais to Hungary (was in a hurry!;)

Freelander is best compromise, works on and off road, something the HRV (and I'd guess CRV, same transmission) didn't. We have the 3 door (wheel base is the same for 3 and 5 door versions) with hardback and softback (for the summer). Oh and with the engine 'chipped' gives 140-150bhp and sub 10s 0-60. :D  :D

As for use, 4 wheel drive helpfull when retrieving glider from muddy fields and potentially life saving for Mrs Albert when confronted by car jackers on A road, she simply drove the Trooper through their Sierra.  :0  :0  :D  ;)

I'd buy another Freelander, she'd probably go for another Trooper  :D  :D

Largely unbreakable, but so is a lorry.  Very uncomfortable rear seats (short squab).  However as a utility vehicle a good second handbuy.  Many 4.0Ltr available with LPG conversion which moderates running costs and gives free access to Ken's castle.

Got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 litre running on lpg. Does 16 mpg

with gas @38p a litre which equates to about 32mpg on petrol.  Pereformance is slightly down although with 4 litres you do not miss it.

I have had Troopers & Range rovers but this is the Dogs B------s.Excellent tow car - Will tow 3.5 tonnes. All bells & whistles & leather everywhere - I love it.

I have have heard that Jeep extended the warranty of Cherokees in the States in 2000/2001-ish.  Now, this could be because they never go wrong and it cost them nothing to do this - or it could for other reasons.  I'll leave you to work it out!

-JohnK

Good replies but it would seem that none of you have a 4x4,I drive a Nissan Patrol and love it and the one before it was a 4x4 Jeep , did about 40 k miles in it and it was a better ride than the big Nissan but not so reliable, much faster. :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

My Aussie rellies mates have a Nissan Patrol - BIG ain't the word - they are superb - but fuel is sooooooooooooooooooo much cheaper down there  ;)  :D  :D

Toyota Landcruiser is what my Aussie rellies drive and that is a good un as well  :D  :D  ;)  Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge engines  :D  :D

I had a Discovery 2.5TDI  (300 TDI engine) which I traded in last year.  Once the oil leaks were fixed during the first two months of its' life it ran like clockwork for 6 years (had one front diff oil seal and one front swivel oil seal replaced).  Oil consumption at the end of six years was nil between changes, it would do 30MPG of diesel and no rattles had developed, exterior and interior looked almost as good as new after a good scrub.  I couldn't really complain - although I heard of horror stories.  It would tow a two ton trailer without really noticing it and return 24MPG in the process. It loved mud and water!!!

The downsides were...

1. Servicing costs - an 18,000 mile service was typically over £500 (ouch).

2. No performance - well it was a diesel.

3. Sometime difficult to park in town - some multi-story cars parks are too low, even though they say they are not!!!

4. Yearly MOT fiasco trying to get within the particulate limits.  This normally required the administration of strange chemicals in the fuel tank and thrashing it against the rev limiter for an hour around the local ring road.

5. When you revert to a "normal" car people seem to be cutting you up all the time!

-JohnK