Factory build vin plate

mik-hey

Hello.

Is there a difference between the chassis plates for a factory made or owner made ?

I saw 2 types of plates and on the first it says "build by Westfield sports cars ltd" and on the other one just the vin number and the weight.

Do you think it can be said that the car is factory built if the first plate is riveted to it?

Another question, do you know if there is a Westfield register that tracks the manufacture of cars? Engine fitted, color, options and so on...?

thank you

vin plate 1.jpg

vin plate 2.jpg

No difference as far as I am aware, I would think the difference is the age. With the lower picture being the current one.

26 minutes ago, ianali said:

Probably obvious and I’m being a bit thick. Il ask anyway, what do the weights written on the plate relate too? 

The weights quoted on the plate are the gross laden weight, ie the maximum design weight. They have no relation to the kerbside weight which is the actual unladen weight as it would measure if the car was put on a weighing bridge or scales.

18 minutes ago, stephenh said:

The weights quoted on the plate are the gross laden weight, ie the maximum design weight. They have no relation to the kerbside weight which is the actual unladen weight as it would measure if the car was put on a weighing bridge or scales.

Ok. So the 900kg is total? 425 &500 axle weights? And why don’t they add up? Questions, questions...

1 hour ago, ianali said:

Ok. So the 900kg is total? 425 &500 axle weights? And why don’t they add up? Questions, questions...

They don't need to, they're essentially design weights each axle can cope with, but the maximum design weight of the car is lower and mustn't be exceeded.

Think of it this way, just because the overall car can weigh 900 kg, it doesn't mean one end weighing 850kg and the other somehow only weighing 50kg would be safe!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

They don't need to, they're essentially design weights each axle can cope with, but the maximum design weight of the car is lower and mustn't be exceeded.

Think of it this way, just because the overall car can weigh 900 kg, it doesn't mean one end weighing 850kg and the other somehow only weighing 50kg would be safe!

Well I did preface my question by mentioning I was a bit thick 😳

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ianali said:

Well I did preface my question by mentioning I was a bit thick 😳

Not at all, it's one of those labels that at face value makes no sense!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My car has the plate shown in the lower picture, and is a factory built car, from 1993. (So if the top picture is of the earlier style of plate, it's really quite early!)

I have a plate similar to the lower one on my amateur built SEiW from 1993. The chassis number has no value as an identifier from DVLA's point of view these days. At the MoT station for the first decade or more it was the registration plate that was used. Then, all of a sudden, the registration was not enough and a chassis/VIN was required. The very basic one from Westfield was inadequate and DVLA issued a modern VIN which now has to be quoted. The car has no VIN plate though.