Vulcan Xflow 145bhp

Nick.Petty

Having now ascertained through lots of your help that my new Westy is a post-lit but low body, I have turned my attention to possible mods to the existing crossflow rather than tackle all the associated chassis/body changes to put a different lump in altogether (although no doubt will at some stage !;).

My cross flow is running some sort of cam upgrade and twin 40s, but doesn't especially set the earth on fire. Any ideas what it should be producing BHP wise, and has anyone experienced/got any helpful views on the 145bhp lump that Vulcan produce ? Using my existing Webbers it would cost

£1,957 all in fitted/vat etc. Is this a good use of the dosh or would I find 145bhp still lacking ?

I have 4 speed box and standard diff on independent rear suspension.

Your opinions will either spend my money or save it !!!

Cheers all.

Nick.

To start the ball rolling, IMO for that kind of money you are touching 'different engine' territory, especially if you are fairly keen with a set of spanners. The xflow is a grand old lump, but realistically, a Toyota engine for instance will give pretty much that kind of power as standard, will last forever compared to a xflow for a similar power output, and oil leaks will be a thing of the past! I am not knocking the Ford engine, or Vulcans work, but the engine shows its age when compared to modern engines.

Cheers, Stu.

I'm with Stu. Put the money towards the mods that you are planning for the future, and do 'em now. It'll be cheaper in the long run........

I've not experienced these 4AGE engines but have done some resurch & they look very good. Light, good power, rev to 7,700rpm (don't tell the X-Flow :0 ) & are a direct replacment for the X-Flow.

Try these places

fensport

&

Raw Enginnering

Fen will supply motors & Raw will supply all the ancillaries & motors.

Do a search for toyota &/or 4AGE.

Andy :t-up: