Halfords High Back Booster Child Seat

Dan_G

Okay,

I noticed there are alot of questions about child seats in westfields / kitcars with so few suitable solutions / answers with photos.

I hope the following helps someone.

My Boy is 4 in 2 weeks weighs around 15.5kg and is below average height for his age.

He is excited to go out in daddies 'racing car'.  So a safe and legal seating arrangement is required.

Car is 1996 SEW with Westfield fibreglass racing seats with vinyl upholstery. 4 point harness with 3" shoulder straps ad 2" waist straps.

Did alot of research on here, locost sites and Caterham forums looking for a solution.

I bought a narrow cheap booster seat from Amazon and also a bubble bum.  Both of which fit, but have a big gap at the back.  Leaving the existing seat providing zero back and head support.  Obvioisly cushions would pack it out but the belts are also too high to fit correftly on a childs Shoulders.. so doesnt work for my car / child combo certainly would'nt be me going ALARP with the risk to my child.

So cut to the chase... i have bought a group 2/3 booster from Halfords and it seems to fit very well.  Base is narrow enough to fit snug in the racing seats and the back pivots at the bottom and rests against the existing seat.

Lap straps can tighten nicely into his hips and the shoulder straps go through guides to set the correct height for ages  4 years old to 12...  15kg - 36kg.

All for £25

https://www.halfords.com/baby-and-child/car-seats/booster-seats/halfords-essentials-high-back-booster-seat-102636.html

And photo ....

20200923_135756_copy_2016x1512.thumb.jpg.0bf029ef953547dff8238543af0d57f9.jpg

Combined with a helmet, goggles, warm clothes and perhaps some ear defenders (exhaust is my side) we're good to go...

• Like 6

Looks fantastic! Been trying a few solutions for my boy and haven't found one that works yet - definitely giving this a go!!

Danny

• Like 1

I used that exact seat for my lad last year. It was the only seat I could find that was narrow enough to fit. (I thought I had cracked it with another seat, but I made the school boy error of testing it on the drivers seat, only to find out later that the passenger side is narrower!)

In terms of child car seats it's pretty budget and doesn't offer loads of protection.  But what it did was held him in tight and put the belts in the right place both for the lap and also the shoulders.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Burgerbob said:

In terms of child car seats it's pretty budget and doesn't offer loads of protection.  But what it did was held him in tight and put the belts in the right place both for the lap and also the shoulders.

Yup.

It looks the part and it's an actual child seat in case the boys in blue take an interest.

• 9 months later...
On 23/09/2020 at 14:50, Dan_G said:

Hi. Wondered if you could tell me the model you got to fit.

The link goes to a list of many seats. now I have a car, the search is on

On 25/07/2021 at 21:17, Boftus said:

Hi. Wondered if you could tell me the model you got to fit.

The link goes to a list of many seats. now I have a car, the search is on

Looks like halfords UK dont have the seat anymore.

still listed in Ireland though and can get them off ebay.

https://www.halfords.ie/baby-and-child/car-seats/booster-seats/halfords-essentials-high-back-booster-seat-102636.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bit of a thread revival, but has anybody tried ti's seat in a westfield widebody?

A bit pricey for a child seat but it looks to be perfect for our car choice. So I think I will buy one anyway and update.

Hifold by Mifold - High Back Travel Car Booster Seat - Safe and Portable Folding Child Car Seat - Adjustable for Growing Kids - Lightweight - Group 2/3 15-45 kg (4-12 years), Slate Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0845SLGKG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_89VQF9X78EP018NXY5C8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1