What are the MOT emissions for a Westfield/kit car?

Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO

7 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Richard needed to take a complete break from both Social Media and "cars" for health reasons. As you can imagine, a social media site such as ourselves, featuring cars quite so strongly is at the top of that list!

We wished Richard well when he had to step away, as we still do, but based on his previous experience, he didn't feel like he would be able to come back anytime soon. 

Richard is certainly missed though and we all that chatted with him both on line and at events, hope he feels well enough to join in again soon. But these things take as long as they take.

I recall Richard saying he was heading to Ukraine to help out, not sure in what way. I do hope he is safe and well, I enjoyed his contributions on the forum and his knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

A pertinent question to the excellent original flow chart as provided by @Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO

If a car was a SDV so keeping its original registration, in this case from 1987 this would mean on the flow chart that it is visible smoke only.

However, an engine change took place to a newer engine, in this case a Duratec would the emissions requirement stay as SVA or would it change to a requirement of the age of the engine and would DVLA ask that question when told?

A fly in this particular ointment is that DVLA have NOT been advised of the engine change 🤔

On 05/06/2023 at 22:14, Yanto said:

If a car was a SDV so keeping its original registration, in this case from 1987 this would mean on the flow chart that it is visible smoke only.

The flow chart says “first used” - which is not the same date that the donor was first registered. So it would not be visible smoke anyway. 

You want a Q plate mate, they rock 😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kingster said:

You want a Q plate mate, they rock 😁

But the elephant in the room with a "Q" - it's a kit car!!!!!! 😂, I've had one, it irked me every time I saw it, granted it does make MOT testing soooo much easier.

39 minutes ago, Yanto said:

- it's a kit car!!!!!!

They rock too 👍

• Like 2

Ooh, I'm treating my Q plate as a personalised plate...  Just got to change my surname to start with AUF ;) 

• Haha 3

On 05/06/2023 at 22:14, Yanto said:

A pertinent question to the excellent original flow chart as provided by @Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO

However, an engine change took place to a newer engine, in this case a Duratec would the emissions requirement stay as SVA or would it change to a requirement of the age of the engine and would DVLA ask that question when told?

A fly in this particular ointment is that DVLA have NOT been advised of the engine change 🤔

Hi Yanto, good to hear from you again, hope you are well.

In answer to your question, it does say that a kit car should be tested to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the IVA. The emission limits agreed at the IVA should appear in the 'notes' section on the V5c. For a 1987 engine it should be a non-cat test, 3.5% CO & 1200ppm HC. As long as those values are on the V5c, the fact that the engine is different does not change the MOT test requirements to test to those values. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO said:

Hi Yanto, good to hear from you again, hope you are well.

In answer to your question, it does say that a kit car should be tested to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the IVA. The emission limits agreed at the IVA should appear in the 'notes' section on the V5c. For a 1987 engine it should be a non-cat test, 3.5% CO & 1200ppm HC. As long as those values are on the V5c, the fact that the engine is different does not change the MOT test requirements to test to those values. 

Hi Martyn, very well ta.

Just had a look at photo of V5c and there are no notes on emissions, blank, nada, bereft of info, and to muddy the waters further in the notes it states first used in 1997, which I must be a DVLA mistake, and to make the waters really opaque there is an MOT cert (2022) stating 4.5% CO.

What engine was it IVA'd with?

A pinto I believe.

Edit: just looked at IVA doc from 2003, it has N/A for CO and HC, so I guess this what should take precedence? If so not sure why it's having any emissions testing, all very confusing for me.

Edited by Yanto
extra info

11 hours ago, Yanto said:

A pinto I believe.

Edit: just looked at IVA doc from 2003, it has N/A for CO and HC, so I guess this what should take precedence? If so not sure why it's having any emissions testing, all very confusing for me.

The IVA values should be used for an MOT. Therefore, as it appears that there were no measured values done at IVA, it is a visual smoke only test.

You will need to present the evidence at the time of the MOT and possibly have to explain what to do! However, to avoid any issues, I am available if necessary.

• Like 2

it was SVA back then in 2003, which was very slightly different in a few areas, to the IVA that it became a few years later.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

it was SVA back then in 2003, which was very slightly different in a few areas, to the IVA that it became a few years later.

I wasn't sure when the change took place.

within a few years, I think. I SVA'd a car 2004 or may have been 05. I'd need to check

• Like 1