Blanket speed limits proposed

CateringVan

Theres a thread on blatchat about amendment to a Bill which proposes to bring in blanket 40mph speed limits on rural roads and 50mph on 'poor quality single carriageways' (whatever they are). See section NC21 about halfway down the page for details

Click on this link to email your MP or here to send a fax (although the fax gateway appears to be a bit overloaded at the moment....

We need to get this stopped.  

:arse:  :arse:  :arse:  to the Government

Here is the basics of what they are proposing

(1)   There shall be a new classification of speed limits for rural roads to be known as a Rural Road Hierarchy.

(2)   The hierarchy will set maximum speed limits for different road types, and include speed limits no higher than—

(a)  20 mph for rural roads in the vicinity of schools and roads designated as Quiet Lanes under the Transport Act 2000;

(b)  30 mph for rural roads passing through villages;

©  40 mph for rural roads which have been classified as Country Lanes;

(d)  50 mph for poor quality single carriageways;

(e)  60 mph for high quality single carriageways; and

(f)  70 mph for dual carriageway roads.

(3)   For the purposes of this section, a Country Lane is any road which is primarily used for local access, where there is no white centre line, and which has been designated as such by the local transport authority.

I had a reply from my MP

I have checked the agenda for Tuesday and can't see any reference to this issue. However, I will keep your comments on file for when the issue is next debated.

To: MCISAAC, Shona

Subject: Debate in Parliament on TUESDAY 11th March.

Shona,

I have just learned that the Conservatives are to back a CPRE call for lower speed limits on rural roads.

This is due to be debated in Parliament on TUESDAY 11th March.

I read the reports of the proposed nationwide reductions in speed limits. I am very disturbed to hear of this development.

Its a copy from my E-mail so it reads from the bottom up I sent here Peter C's letter but changed a bit and that was the reply no other comments.

Paul.

Apart from the obvious problem, the thing I dread most is that they will take nice open countryside and plaster speed limit signs all over it.   Many of the Yorkshire villages are now the subject of massive yellow signs, coloured tarmac, camera signs etc.  A local roundabout Which looked ok, flowers etc, has now been replaced by a traffic light controlled junction requiring 42 separate poles (lights/signs) and considerable lengths of barrier fencing. Oh- and inevitably the traffic moves slower with longer hold ups.

Rant over - I feel better now, thanks. ???

Apart from the obvious problem, the thing I dread most is that they will take nice open countryside and plaster speed limit signs all over it.   Many of the Yorkshire villages are now the subject of massive yellow signs, coloured tarmac, camera signs etc.  A local roundabout Which looked ok, flowers etc, has now been replaced by a traffic light controlled junction requiring 42 separate poles (lights/signs) and considerable lengths of barrier fencing. Oh- and inevitably the traffic moves slower with longer hold ups.

Rant over - I feel better now, thanks. ???

Good Point!

I wonder whether they have to get planning permission to do all that.......bet they wouldn't let someone paint their house/drive in colours like that...... ???

From my MP

I have checked yet again and this amendment is being tabled in committee. rather than on the floor of the house, so even if it does get passed (unlikely), it is some time before it will come to the House of Commons for further debate and votes.

Paul.

The town of Whitney is in a bad way with it all  :blush:  :D