Possible new member.....

Pd2

Hi folks,

I’ve been browsing the forum now for a few weeks and think it’s about time I posted.

My name is Paul (38), I’m from Paisley just outside Glasgow. I see there are a few members and potentially new members like Jimbo76 nearby. I’m just a normal guy, married, Dog, house with a tiny garage (Cupboard!). I’ve had a range of cars over the years (nothing exotic..... or expensive actually), decent ones being:

a modified ‘78 mini clubman (Small, light, 69bhp, just felt nippy everywhere)

106 gti (Yellow! lightly modified, around 140bhp, again small and light)

classic 3.9 V8 Range Rover (Big and clumsy but it’s a V8..... with an exhaust)

Saab 93 convertible (175bhp, roof down pretty much all the time)

MR2 turbo (240bhp, lightly modified)

S70 T5 (£700 Cheap runner for a year, most comfortable car I’ve had!)

Plus another 7-8 cars in between all these.

Around two years ago I had a decision to make regarding a car purchase, I work shifts but I can commute by train due to the times I work. So I was looking at a car for fun and touring when I’m off or commute with when dry. Do I buy small and light like an Elise or VX220 turbo or go big and brutish like M3, C63 etc. Anyway...... wife wasn’t convinced with small an light options, so I went the other way and bought an early Jaguar XFR.

My shifts changed at work..... a month after buying the XF...... it now became my daily! 
So for the last two years I’ve been driving in comfort to work, fairly quickly and expensively lol.
Having a 500bhp Supercharged V8 is great, spending roughly £75 a week filling the tank and 230 miles emptying it commuting is not. When I do get to stretch it’s legs, it’s a very enjoyable!

I’m looking to change the XF. I’m not using it the way I’d imagined due to using it daily.

After a chat with the wife, I’m going to by a ‘shed’ for the commute and a Westfield for the garage (cupboard) for sunny days.

As Jimbo76 mentioned in his thread, there are literally hundreds of variations of Westfield’s out there.

I’m look for his opposite, comfort and touring spec. Thinking zetec 1.8/2.0 with heater, weather gear, comfort seats, carpets, would like a rear lockbox. No bike engines, aero screens, cages.... lol

Budget around £9-12k depending on how much and when the XF goes.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the classified ads on here, autotrader, PistonHeads etc.

There are several I like the look and nearly everyone I look at the MOT histories are like rollercoasters. Is this normal for this type of car?

I would like to try and get along to a meet at some point or if there is anyone locally that would be willing to let me see a car or if possible to take a run round the block, to make sure I’m making the right decision. Can offer a run in the big beastie in return.

Sorry for the long read!

Hopefully will see some of soon and hopefully I’ll join the clan!

Regards

Paul.

Edited by Pd2
  • Like 2

Welcome and good hunting for the car that matches your needs.Keep and eye out in the Cars for sale section etc

:ww: from a very rainy Norfolk! 

If you do see any cars you like the look of, please let the forum members on here know by way of a link. There are a lot of very knowledgeable enthusiasts on here who may know the car or would be willing to give some good advice. 

It does sound like you know what you are looking for which is half the battle! Happy hunting! 

Hi paul 

Have you seen this one. A lovely car for the money

I am only in Houston, not on the road yet as I've an iva retest to get through but will hopefully get the thing registered this year. Your more than welcome to come round for a nosey though.

Hi  Paul, firstly welcome and I hope your search is fruitful. There are quite a few members around your neck of the woods and they are very approachable.

unfortunately we don’t have a regular area meet as our area IS Scotland!!!!

Also given the events Of this year It’s blown our meetings and events schedule apart.

A budget of 9-12k will get you a very nice car especially if your prepared to travel.

If you want to chat anything over feel free to call after 7 on 07715554020

cheers Gary

• Like 2

Welcome! 

As others have said, you'll get a nice car for that budget.

I've only been a Westfield owner for a year but I'm already on my second car, be careful as it's quite addictive! 😂

Joining the club has been the best few quid I've spent in a long time. The technical help is amazing and if you get out on some meets you'll meet lots great people along the way 👍

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

Steve, I would love a gander, what V6 you using?

Gary, We do have a big region. Years ago, I was a regional leader on a peugeot site and arranged rolling road days and helped with events. Had the same region! lol.

If I hadn’t been working I would have popped along to the boarders run a few weeks ago.

I have a good idea in what I’m looking for spec wise. That zetec of Paul T looks alright, only concern would be the issues he mentioned regarding two cylinders on his rolling road thread and I would need to add the full roof.

Unfortunately, I’m not in a position to buy until my own car is away. So I’m just reading as much as I can for now.

Toybox have a few I like the look of and I am aware you pay Dealer premium for them.

Blue 06 duratec - looks perfect for me, but poa.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/9697697

Yellow 98 RS2000 - never seen one with this engine before.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10532616

Racing Green 99 zetec - again looks ideal for me.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10241434

Regards 

Paul.

• Like 3

Hi Paul!

I know exactly where you are having just gone through the purchase “journey” myself!! Will be the best decision you ever made!!

I learnt after quite a lot of miles on the road that most of those Toybox ads on pistonheads are for cars they’ve had at some point in the past but not actually in stock now - just illustrate what they do. Best to give them a call for what they actually have!

Personally ended up buying privately through the forums here to make the bang per buck go further - lots of great advice and support to be had here and the car has already led me to meeting some fantastic folks!! 

Good luck with the search!

Danny

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pd2 said:

I’ve been keeping an eye on the classified ads on here, autotrader, PistonHeads etc.

There are several I like the look and nearly everyone I look at the MOT histories are like rollercoasters. Is this normal for this type of car?

Hi Paul. Just to say that mine is 20 years old and has never even had an advisory. And I'm certain there are many more like that. The right one will come along. 

Mine is a 3.0 from a jag s-type. Not a typical lump but might give you some ideas from the rest.

Just drop me a Pm when your ready to have a nosey.

Hi Paul

on the basis that due to work I’m not going to get to the gold cup, Kames  car show is on tomorrow , so thinking of an early start and heading down there. If your free and fancy it give me a shout.

Thanks again for the replies.

Steve, I will do.

Gary, thanks for the offer but im on early shift tomorrow..... 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Paul.

I did a similar thing myself - spent time on the forum, chatted with a few people before taking the plunge on an 04 1.8 Zetec Factory Build. Scoured usual places - forum, Pistonheads, Autotrader. Ended up buying via Autotrader from Durham - which was 213 miles from me, but as it ticked all of the boxes, was very happy with my purchase. 

Only about 6 weeks in so far, but wow - have I enjoyed those 6 weeks 😀

Good luck with your search - there are plenty for sale so just hunt around until you find the right one for you.

• Like 1