Wow, where to start as a buyer!

Jimbo76

Hi All,

I've just signed up, so hi to one and all! I've recently decided to buy a Westfield, in fact, only over the past week, and thought this would be a great place to be and great community to be involved with.

Now, the biggest problem is, what to buy, there are so many permutations of the Westfield it's a minefield to me at the moment.

Having had many fast cars over the years, and enjoying track days the length and breadth of Europe, I need to have that in my life again. With a huge change in career and lack of free time, I cannot justify having an expensive daily with track ability sat at the door, so I am now looking at Westfields, naturally! 

Knowing the engine quite well, I started looking for a 2.0XE engined car, but looks like the 2.0 Zetec seems very popular and a little more tunable, is that a fair assumption? Now standard or ITB/Carbs is the next question...............................

I'm gonna be having a few socially awkward nights with the Mrs whilst I scan the classifieds looking for the new toy! Haha. I will need something around or just over 200bhp to scratch that itch!! Is that achievable with a budget of around £10-12K??

Looking forward to some involvement. 👍

Edited by Jimbo76
  • Like 2

I've not owned either the XE or the Zetec, but from what I know about them, the XE is a really good and tunable engine, and very torquey for a 2 litre engine. However, it is getting a bit long in the tooth now. 

Plenty of Zetecs about, and plenty of tuning "goodies" available for them.

My old car was a Duratec engined car. they tend to be capable of very high outputs, but at a price. Of the 3 engines,  they have arguably the most potential, but also the most expensive when it comes to tuning. And it has to be said that whilst they are capable of very high power outputs, they are not so good at high torque, at least mine wasn't. 

For the sort of use I think you have in mind, you might want to think about a turbo or supercharger as a possibility. Quite low boost on a Zetec might give you easily the power you have in mind (and more) whilst being reliable and torquey. 

Also, if it is mainly track use you have in mind, don't ignore the bike engined cars. Power won't be so high, but they are so light and coupled to a sequential 'box they go incredibly quickly on track. 

Your budget should be enough to get you a nice car, but it is a good idea to take your time, and look at a few cars, as one thing is for sure; it is much cheaper to buy a car with the spec you really want than to buy a car which is "half way there" and then to pay to modify it.

Hi Jimbo76

What I found really helpful to write a list of must haves, would likes and really don't want. Also get yourself along to a local meet as they will help you know end.

9 minutes ago, stephenh said:

I've not owned either the XE or the Zetec, but from what I know about them, the XE is a really good and tunable engine, and very torquey for a 2 litre engine. However, it is getting a bit long in the tooth now. 

Plenty of Zetecs about, and plenty of tuning "goodies" available for them.

My old car was a Duratec engined car. they tend to be capable of very high outputs, but at a price. Of the 3 engines,  they have arguably the most potential, but also the most expensive when it comes to tuning. And it has to be said that whilst they are capable of very high power outputs, they are not so good at high torque, at least mine wasn't. 

For the sort of use I think you have in mind, you might want to think about a turbo or supercharger as a possibility. Quite low boost on a Zetec might give you easily the power you have in mind (and more) whilst being reliable and torquey. 

Also, if it is mainly track use you have in mind, don't ignore the bike engined cars. Power won't be so high, but they are so light and coupled to a sequential 'box they go incredibly quickly on track. 

Your budget should be enough to get you a nice car, but it is a good idea to take your time, and look at a few cars, as one thing is for sure; it is much cheaper to buy a car with the spec you really want than to buy a car which is "half way there" and then to pay to modify it.

Thanks Stephen,

Ah, and another consideration, the Duratec! Haha. I had an Astra GTE 16V track dedicated car about 20 years ago, and with cams, pulleys and a 'chip, it was making just under the 200bhp, so good and reliable engines, albeit long in the tooth now, but I guess not as much as a Pinto. 😉 

Are the bike engined cars not a bit fragile in comparison to the proper 4 cylinder car based engines? I have owned fast bikes, but never a bike engined car and always imagined them to be a bit iffy/fragile/easily broken???

I am a mechanical engineer by trade, so tinkering is in my blood, but I agree, buying something that is ready to go will take the frustrations out of the equation! 

15 minutes ago, Morley said:

Hi Jimbo76

What I found really helpful to write a list of must haves, would likes and really don't want. Also get yourself along to a local meet as they will help you know end.

I'm based in Glasgow, so need to find out about some local meets and get myself along for a browse and chat.

I guess I really don't know what I must have and would like right now, I need to do some more homework. Circa 200bhp is all I have in mind at the moment, wide body for handling (?), strong brakes without ABS (?) although I can imagine with them being so light, all brakes are good? LSD, adjustable suspension................hang on, I guess I do have some must haves and likes!! 🙂 Decent seats and harnesses, adjustable brake bias, is that a must? What are they like without a wind shield, I see many cars like this?

Is it acceptable by forum rules, to post cars that are advertised outwith this site to ask for opinions or if the car is known??

I assume a 200bhp Westfield will be bloo**y quick??

Edited by Jimbo76

WHATEVER YOU DO,  DON'T OPEN THE CAR Vs BIKE ENGINE CAN 🙂

Seriously, I think thats great budget.....personally wouldnt get hung up about the BHP figures just yet. I would buy on the merits of the car as whole....Build quality, suspension set up, brakes, wheels, interior.......Certainly Zetecs and XE are well known, and either can be tuned to 200bhp, but both in standard form are areound 150bhp (assuming ITB's). The duratec is a generation on and has the added advantage of being lighter as it's all alloy. I would also be looking for a fuel injected car at that price range.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Built properly a bike engined car will be no weaker than a car engine. It will also be the best choice for a pure track tool. Lightweight and with a built in sequential box.

Im just out by the airport if you want to have a nosy round a car and try some fibreglass seats. Although mine is more a road cruiser than track toy

• Like 1

If you're looking at track first, as others have said I would not get too focused on BHP (remember 220 on one rolling road may be 180 on another) I'd maybe look at 175 plus. eg Zetec on throttle bodies could be a good place to start, and with fast road cams even better...

the gearbox and in particular the ratios are probably more important. a 175 bhp westi with the correct gearbox ratios is probably a better, more enjoyable, usable track car than a 220 bhp westi with the wrong ones.

Also for track use then an areo screen is probably better, from what I understand the screen adds quite a lot to the drag of what is allready not a very areodynamic car.

5 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Built properly a bike engined car will be no weaker than a car engine. It will also be the best choice for a pure track tool. Lightweight and with a built in sequential box.

Im just out by the airport if you want to have a nosy round a car and try some fibreglass seats. Although mine is more a road cruiser than track toy

Hi Steve,

Is yours a bike engined version? I might take you up on that and have a nosey one weekend? I'm in Dumbarton so not a million miles away. 👍

Guys I have my eye on a car, that seems good on the face of things, I stumbled across it last night. Ticks a few boxes in my own mind, but would appreciate some advice on it, in terms of spec and if it's known to the community. Is it acceptable to post a link to the ad, or if I PM it to someone in the know would that be more acceptable?

No mines a 3.0 v6.

I have built a bec before with 'only' a carbed 140 bhp R1 engine and aeroscreen and it was easily the most raw and exilherating package,  but I found I was using mostly on the road so I switched to car engined instead.

1 minute ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

No mines a 3.0 v6.

I have built a bec before with 'only' a carbed 140 bhp R1 engine and aeroscreen and it was easily the most raw and exilherating package,  but I found I was using mostly on the road so I switched to car engined instead.

Hmmmm, looks like I have a lot of decision making to do!! 

Looks a decent spec. Might be worth asking for the details of the engine rebuild?

Only criticism for me is its on dreadful tyres:)