Bike engine cars

skid

Now that would be fun Pete, see if we could overcome the brick aerodymanics and build the fastest Westie :D

:durr:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Al Yupright

• skid

• Mark Stanton

• Nick M

Now bike GP's going 4-stroke there must be millions of 500 2-strokes just sitting around somewhere. Four chrome expansion chambers would look brill down the side!

You are all wrong !!!

4.jpg

3.jpg

The recommended engine for an XTR² is a Sukuzi 1300R Hayabusa.  Having stuck this engine on the scales it weighed in a whopping 87KG including gearbox, dry sump pumps, all ancilarys, exhaust manifold.  We stuck it in the car and it weight 481kilos.  This was way way to heavy for our requirements.

We are now running the car on a prototype mechano/lego hybrid system to the following spec

* 4 x 15quad wind 540 radio controlled car engines to drive each individual conrod.  

* 4 x matched LRP v7.1 pc programable electronic speedos - fly by wire throttle.

* Pistons are the heads you would normally find on a legoman...castle lego mans helmets have been re-cut into liners to strengthen block.

* LSD from expensive tecnics lego beetle kit with (mechano) strengthed driveshaft sleaves.

* Gearbox from tecnic lego beetle with mechano fly wheel and 3rd/4th gears (cryogenically frozen - trust me cryogenics works great for stengthening engine components - not a joke)

* Custom design 16bit lego mindstom engine management and fully automatic gear shift

Running from 4 7.2v 3000mah matched sanyo nicad cell packs we can generate a whopping 0.962bhp/tonne.  Still just think of all that weight we saved - car now weighs 399kilos.  Thats nearly 1bhp at 57,000rpm

Costs practically nothing to maintain:

* new motor brushes about £2 for all motors

* new pistons (we still have a small det issue if we rev the engine out) next time you visit the dentist or doctors surgery just have a look in the childrens toys - you are bound to find some lego men.

Next changes are to

* stressed tubular art straw chassis with integral layered paper tub

* learn to levitate so we no longer need seats

* steer telepathically to remove the need for steering wheel and column

You have to be careful with these bike engined cars - just too D4mn heavy ;)

(I think I need to sleep - my head feels funny)

Skid, before your question can be answered, is the car mainly for trackdays, or competition, or road use?

And what is wrong with the one you've got?? ???

Skid - you're having a laff  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D  Kicks starts the CEC/BEC now lights fuse on the VX/Zetec/Duratec debates

Hurdsey tried the never ending thread - but I reckon you're gonna beat it  :D  :D  :D  ;)  :devil:

Seriously Skid - there's an absolute shed load of info here already on why, what ?? - all you gotta do is search and you should find enough to keep you reading for days  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  :D

The answer will probably depend on your budget and personal application of use more than anything - as all the power plants will provide excellent power and torque in a Westfield - but it depends on how and where YOU want it  :D  :D  ;)  :)  ;)  :D

Mark is spot on, and the very reason why everything from a sub 900cc bike motor to 5000cc+ V8's have been fitted.

There isnt a *right* answer, it's up to you to decide  :)

We stuck it in the car and it weight 481kilos

Does seem heavy when I had a Vx Westy on my corner scales and that was 513kg. And we all know how heavy the Vx is :0