Lowered MX-5 drivers?

Wobblyprop

I've just acquired an MX-5 as a second mid life crisis seems to be the thing now we're all living longer (my Westie was the first one).

It's an early ND/Mk4 and I'm thinking about fitting -30mm springs, likely from BBR.  Anybody got experience of lowering springs on an MX-5, or BBR in general (also interested in their chip).  Driving, ground clearance etc., etc.

By the way, ideally the title means lowered cars, not lowered drivers ... but all points of view equally considered...

I just fitted -30mm Eibachs (Eibach Pro kit) to my Mk3 which was ridiculously high. Took about 5 hours in total, mostly due to seized ARB drop links on a 2008 car.

It's now a little lower than I wanted (20mm would have been ideal) but looks great and still rides well. On undulating single track roads it can now catch, also speed bumps need care - lots of people seem to end up with adjustable coil-overs with better damping and stiffer springs, but I couldn't swing that expense having just bought the car... On most roads it is great, less body roll (I don't like roll) and still seems to grip well.

BBR's reputation is excellent, sure you won't go wrong there, just don't get caught by their excellent engine upgrades... MX5 ownership seems just as bad as Westie for upgradeitus!IMG_20200625_202800.thumb.jpg.524e73c5dd399c0ac092f49448336d3a.jpg

• Haha 1

Nice looking car!

So it just rolls less, but otherwise doesn't handle any better?  I'm having second thoughts since you mention ground clearance.  I find the body roll by itself doesn't bother me because frankly it's not that much; it's not like it's floaty or anything.  Interestingly I've discovered mine is at the lower end of factory spec for ride height as it turns out, so perhaps  that explains things for my car.  And my geo is good.

Still, that now leaves the option to have it mapped!   A little more power would be useful.

I drove an MK4 for 10 days on holidays in La Palma... awesome roads... and even better car.

I wouldn't change anything on it regarding dynamics... i drove it like if i had stolen it for 10 days and its been one of the better cars i have driven in a while. I would not risk screwing any of the dynamics of such a perfect road car only for the looks of it...

• Like 1

Mine is a 2008 car, which was the highest riding of all, so I'm happy to tinker with it, but on a newer Mk4 road car I'm also not sure I'd touch it.

I had a 2010 MX5 which had the shorter Eibach springs fitted by the previous owner. Lovely car, but not good on the dreaded speed humps, and would bottom out on some of the more uneven roads across the Somerset levels! Was always a concern in the back of my mind when out and about.

12 hours ago, maurici said:

I drove an MK4 for 10 days on holidays in La Palma... awesome roads... and even better car.

I wouldn't change anything on it regarding dynamics... i drove it like if i had stolen it for 10 days and its been one of the better cars i have driven in a while. I would not risk screwing any of the dynamics of such a perfect road car only for the looks of it...

Was going to say, the Mk3 and Mk4 are very different dynamically. Mk1/Mk2/Mk3 related advice / info won't apply to the Mk4.

• Like 1

Great replies.  Exactly the sort of insight I was looking for.  Thanks all.

Mk4 suspension specific conclusion - it's not broke so I won't be fixing it ;)

But i shall have more power ...

• Haha 2