Have you ever wondered?

Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

I know quite a few of you are interested in aviation, so.

Have you ever wondered what happens when two RAF Gloster Meteors get a bit too close to each other on a training flight in 1951 over Saddleworth moor.

Full details here, https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/crash_sites/peak-district/gloster-meteor-wa791-vz518-sliddens-moss/

1 sliddens meteor.jpg

2 sliddens meteor.jpg

3 sliddens meteor.jpg

4 sliddens meteor.jpg

5 sliddens meteor.jpg

6 sliddens meteor.jpg

7 sliddens meteor.jpg

8 sliddens meteor.jpg

9 sliddens meteor.jpg

10 sliddens meteor.jpg

11 sliddens meteor.jpg

Yes and quite a few of these are within hiking distance.  Fancy it when we are free to roam again ?

• Like 1

Is it all still there then? A mate of mine was killed in a Provost crash some years back and they cleared the site of every last trace other than the lingering aroma of Jet A1 in very short order.

• Sad 1

Quite a few parts remain at some of the crash sites. Considered not worth recovering due to remote locations.

According to that web site, it was a CFIT and not a mid-air collision and both pilots were killed.  Personally, I won’t go to sites like this because to my mind it’s a gravesite.  That’s just my own personal opinion.

2 hours ago, Arm said:

Yes and quite a few of these are within hiking distance.  Fancy it when we are free to roam again ?

I've been there a few times, it's quite remote, I used it as map and compass training for Venture scouts back in the day, you have to walk on a bearing to find it, I took those pics in 1987.

there are lots of air wrecks in the Peak District some are very hard to find.

And yes Capn we do say a prayer each time we visit.