ALLOY FLYWHEELS

fastcarl

I'll explain ,as i have equipped myself with a small engineering shop which helps me to maintain my cars as part of my love for speed ,i have spent many years developing lightweight components and one of these is the alloy flywheel,these can be made for almost any engine that fits into a westfield ,basically if you have one i can copy it [as long as it's not 3 ft in dia and 5 inch  thick ]these are made from top grade modern alluminium alloys and can be for standard clutches or race clutches. ANYBODY INTERESTED .

Alloy flywheels. Mmmmmm. Whats all this about then? With the greatest respect, are you confident enough to guarentee that the flywheel isnt going to shatter and cut both my ankles off when I go for the 8000 rpm gearchange.... :0  :0  :0

If you can prove they are trustworthy, and what price they will be (for a VX 16v!!! to begin with), I could be interested....

Sorry to be sceptical but......

Stu.

And "commercial" business postings are not really permitted here, its your first post and all you've done is had a freebie advert  ;)  ;)  :D  :devil:  :D  :)  ;)

i can copy it

Check legalaties and copyright  ;)  ;)  :)  ;)

And I'll check my speeling  :blush:  :durr:

SBD do ally cluthes so as long as you stick to 6082 T6 or 7075 spec ally you'll be alright ;)

To get an alloy flywheel to shatter you'll need to be doing substantially more than 8000rpm

Also I don't think they are a "direct copy" of the cast ones

so you may run into problems both ways (ie legally and self destructively) IMO  

Dave

I'm not necessarily interested in obtaining an Ally flywheel, but I would be interested in how to overcome someof the mechanical issues: (NB this is genuine inquisitiveness, not a dig at your idea.)

1 - Is there an issue with the different expansion rates twixt flywheel and ring gear (do flywheels get hot ?) could this lead to distortion?

2 - What is the wear-face characteristic with the clutch. I think that certian clutch face materials would "fill-up" with Ally after short period.

3 - Are there advantages in static / dynamic balancing as the masses are lower ?

Also - I assume, to get the desired density and purity level in the raw part (ie no porosity) you would use a forged blank as opposed to Billet. What grade are you considering?

As a rule of thumb Ally forging Vs Steel forging = 2.7 : 7.2 in terms of weight. An average "light" steel flywheel is around 4.0Kg bare, giving an equivalent weight in Ally of 1.5Kg - thats a big reduction in inertia.

I will be interested to see how this develops