Scaffold Towers

Hemsley

Good morning all from a bright and chilly Devon.

I'm looking for advice about scaffold towers. We've recently moved house and our new place, a victorian rectory, needs some refurbishment. Since there is so much to be done I would like to purchase a scaffold tower so that I can complete the work safely and efficiently, and use it for regular maintenance in the future.

External work includes repairs to eaves and gables, removing Ivy and repairing damaged mortar, at a maximum height of ~ 10m. Internal work includes ceilings at 3m, an Orangery at 4m, and Coach House with a vaulted ceiling. We have level ground around the whole house, and 75% of that is gravel or paving. A tower seems like the practical approach and much safer than a ladder.

Does anyone have experience of using these and the pros / cons? Good brands or systems and where to purchase? I've been looking at this site for a few ideas, but am also interested in used towers. https://www.scaffold-tower.co.uk/Scaffold_Towers/single_width_2.5m_8x2/platform_height_7_7m.php

For those of you who like a picture here's the new home, and the coach house. Did I mention the triple garage... plenty of room to work on the Westfield and for a new project when I've finished the refurb.

image.png.7d9e4cd35ab1b3e61495f3a879baea82.png

image.png.b0f1f854519165667682e4a7f8deb8b4.png

• Like 7

Can’t help with the scaffold, but really lovely house!

Side note, when I was 16 I used to be an electricians mate, changing lightbulbs in a huge warehouse, must’ve been 10m at least. I’d wizz up and down the scaff, building as I went. Not a chance would I do that now, 20+ years later I seem to have developed a fear of heights. I went on our roof once with the chimney sweep and my legs were like jelly. 

In conclusion, I have a similar decorating problem on a much less grand scale and definitely be paying a man.

The tower in the link you have provided is a high quality tower.

At 10mtrs you want something decent. Well, any height really.

You need to learn the "sit down" or the "through the trap door" method for erecting a tower as it is extremely safe if done correctly.

If you are working at multiple heights you may need "half section" sides if you are limited by height as the full height ends may not fit.

I would get your measurements and speak with the supplier or look in the latest "speedy catalogue for guidance.

https://www.speedyservices.com/search?Query=tower

15 minutes ago, Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup) said:

The tower in the link you have provided is a high quality tower.

At 10mtrs you want something decent. Well, any height really.

You need to learn the "sit down" or the "through the trap door" method for erecting a tower as it is extremely safe if done correctly.

If you are working at multiple heights you may need "half section" sides if you are limited by height as the full height ends may not fit.

I would get your measurements and speak with the supplier or look in the latest "speedy catalogue for guidance.

https://www.speedyservices.com/search?Query=tower

They’ll never get that lightbulb changed from there. 

• Haha 1

Where to begin. I have owned hire companies since the 1980's so know a few things about towers running in excess of 50 various units.

Cheapest to buy are steel  section units but whilst ok for internal or low height(under 4 metres) they are not suitable for greater heights also they are a bit wobbly and have load capacity less than ally and usually come in 6' x 4' base size.

Best option would be for an ally kit being that they can reach 10m plus as long as tied into the structure working on but would need outriggers. Various base sizes are available but the most common is 8' x 4' and is approximately 6' high per section lift. SGB/Boss towers are one of the leading makes and are fairly lightweight, Alto towers are heavier tube and an alternative make again much respected.

Word of warning these ally towers are usually hire items and sustain a lot of abuse so be careful checking secondhand items thoroughly for damage especially hair line cracks and only buy once inspected seeing it erected, I use to have repairs made on a weekly basis.

Auction houses are great places to buy cheaply and you can get set ups for £500 - 700, be wary of cheaper offerings either nicked or damaged. 10 metres of new tower would cost £2500 plus. My local auction place was Thimbleby and Shorland @ Reading but you've probably got similar closer. 

If going down the auction route I would be quite happy to attend with you to help and pass on knowledge.

Word of warning!

Yes it's imperative to get properly trained in the use of tower and any "working at height" situations but choose your trainers carefully, I lost count of sessions I sent people to where they had to condemn the equipment being used!

The tower you have details on looks exactly the same as Boss and maybe they're selling them under license or have taken over so could be fit is a highly common type. Would not recommend 8'x2' base size for working at 10m especially outside, ok for halls, staircases and restricted areas for what it was designed, platform size restricted for tools and operatives.

Other option buy a shorter unit say max. 5 metres working height and hire out taller unit or better still a cherry picker/flying carpet, much safer and know the quality must be good.

Thanks all for your suggestions and comments. I am kicking myself for not even having thought about some training, so I'll look into that tomorrow. There is some very useful info and links about training at the pasma site Tony shared.

11 hours ago, wizzer said:

Nice pad, have a look here https://pasma.co.uk/ get yourself  some training they should recommend a tower.

Tony 

In my youth I enjoyed rock climbing and often my Dad would have me working up a ladder or on the roof because it didn't bother me at all. Now I am older, less flexible, slower, and much prefer a very solid working platform.

Snags, thanks for your kind offer w.r.t. auction / 2nd hand towers. I'll let you know if I find a site down this way, if not maybe I'll head up to Reading.

• Like 1

I’ve hired towers a couple of times for work on my house, max  height 6metres and found them easy to put up on your own.  An 8x 2 set up seems a bit small to me for working heights up to 10metres. Best to seek advice at from the manufactures.