Tyres for W3

Rich Vaughan

Hi, I'm just completing the build of a Pre-lit 7SE with 1700 Crossflow. I'm currently looking at which tyres to use. I have over 10 years experience running a bike engined single seater on Avon slicks in sprints and hill climbs, but my choices now in Mod Prod are wider and I could use some input. I did intend to use Pirelli Ultra slicks, but as I'd like to also use the car for the odd track day I am contemplating going for a compromise and use either 1B or 1C tyres. Obviously the 1B and C tyres won't be as fast and effective as the slick but by what margin?  Typically what do other competitors use in W3?

Rich

What about Yoko A021R? Unsure of time difference to slicks but they are pretty soft and will work in the rain too!

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

Is two sets of wheels not an option? 

Yes maybe, but this is a foot in the water season, so I just want to get a feel as to where development of the car should go without too much expense

How about a set of slick cut to inters? However, given that we usually have very few wet sprint days versus dry sprint days, I would stick with slicks and just bite the bullet when it rains

1 hour ago, John said:

just hit the wall when it rains

I've sorted that for you John.

2 hours ago, John said:

How about a set of slick cut to inters? However, given that we usually have very few wet sprint days versus dry sprint days, I would stick with slicks and just bite the bullet when it rains

Actually I have a set of spare rims with Nangkang NS 2 road tyres which I plan to use if there's standing water otherwise I'd use slicks/track tyres on a moderately wet track.

To be fair the nature of sprinting means even on a wet day you'll be unlucky if it rains all day, it's not fun in the rain on tyres not designed too shift water but once it's drys all the previous efforts on "wet" tyres are lost with one dry run, or if it rains later in the day no one is going to improve on their dry times from earlier whatever their rubber.

my choice as tyres are free in your circumstances (just running one set) would be Kuhmo V70's they offer great dry grip and won't throw you off in anything but the worst of standing water.

it just so happens I have a set avaible in super soft if your interested as I can't use them in road going?

8 hours ago, K17 CAR said:

my choice as tyres are free in your circumstances (just running one set) would be Kuhmo V70's they offer great dry grip and won't throw you off in anything but the worst of standing water.

it just so happens I have a set available in super soft if your interested as I can't use them in road going?

Thanks I'll  give it some thought, what size are your v70's. I'm running 13" x 8" wheels front and rear

I have 2 brand new 215/50/13's and 2 235/45/13 that have done 5 sprints, all four are k12 super soft.

Thanks for the info on the tyres. I still need to weigh up the pros and cons - slicks against moulded slicks. TBH at this stage I'm erring in the direction of full slicks and those will probably be Pirelli Ultra softs.