reverse gear box

pete williams

Hi

i have passed sva,registered the car,taxed it for 1st march,went in the garage on sunday to take her for a blast, only to discover gear oil on the drivers footwell, i removed the transmission panels to discover oil leaking from the back of the green westfield gear box,i was not very happy!!!

has any body had any simmilar problems?

i am going to ring mark walker in the morning

i have only done 60 miles,but loved every single one

tia peter westmegblade.

I think the key thing to check here is exactly where the oil's coming from. As I understand it the reverse boxes are known to 'breathe' oil out of the vent on the top, and I guess this may be worse if it's overfilled.

I checked mine out for the first time this weekend after >1100 miles and it was all pretty clean.

As bob says... there is a pin hole sized breather on the round part of the casing where the rear prop attaches, see if there are oil tracks from this.

Does it make graunchy noises? Does it vibrate? Have you over filled it? When you grab either the front or back props and try to move them, do they waggle about?

Hi

I was unable to ring mark walker today,had a good look around,oil seems to coming from the bottom right,poss from the allen head bolt,there is a ring of six bolts that hold the two casings together,

i will keep you updated.

ps

Would a 15 amp starter push button switch be up to the job?

cheers

peter

Would a 15 amp starter push button switch be up to the job?

I presume this query is unrelated to the reverse box? ;)

So long as it's wired properly I'd have thought so - all it should be doing is supplying the starter solenoid which then draws the power to crank the engine direct from the battery via a seperate cable. Dunno what current the solenoid draws to switch but it can't be much.