Tyres from list 1B

Ricky444

Hi Folks

Looking some advice

We all nearly use Toyo tyres over here in N.ireland but running a Busa powered car is there a better tyre on the list cheers Richard 

Not wanting to cause a debate just general opinions from people who have tried various tyres

Cheers Richard 

Nankang Ar1 in 80 tread wear seem to be to go to over this side of the water now. 

People have tries the extreme but I'm not convinced yet

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t rule out the Avon ZZS..... we’ve posted some very competitive times on them this season, with my son taking class wins at all the meetings we attended... and I set nine pb’s...

I'm running Yokohama A049s on my blade car, best tyre I've ran out of 888s, ZZRs, Kuhmo Ecstas.

the tyre place a knockhill circuit sells them for a bout £90 a corner fitted and balanced

On 18/12/2019 at 21:05, ACW said:

Where is the best place to get?

If you wait till between Christmas and New year ebay normally do a 20%fir sale so they take the hit. Demon thieves ebay shop for ar1's last set were £311 delivered 

13 hours ago, syman84 said:

If you wait till between Christmas and New year ebay normally do a 20%fir sale so they take the hit. Demon thieves ebay shop for ar1's last set were £311 delivered 

Cheers - good idea. What sizes are people using? will the DT ones be the right treadwear type?

1 hour ago, ACW said:

What sizes are people using?

My dad is using 205 fronts and 235 rears for his Nankang AR1s, however he was considering going up to a 235 front as well, as they have the same cross sectional size as the 215 ZZR.

3 hours ago, ACW said:

Cheers - good idea. What sizes are people using? will the DT ones be the right treadwear type?

You will be hard pressed to find any 80 treadware now....however it is the same compound in the 'new' 100 treadware as the 80, the only difference being (I believe) slightly stiffer sidewall

On 19/12/2019 at 12:25, cast iron said:

I'm running Yokohama A049s on my blade car, best tyre I've ran out of 888s, ZZRs, Kuhmo Ecstas.

the tyre place a knockhill circuit sells them for a bout £90 a corner fitted and balanced

aren't these 1c tyres

Just now, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yes according to Yokohama site

A55CF105-1F5A-49F8-8F59-626A79B1FAFF.jpeg

Thats A048 not A049 unless the 9 was a typo to start with

Not that I know of... Edit: Google says they do! But I've never seen it before! https://minkara.carview.co.jp/partsreview/parts.aspx?pt=19900

Also - to the OP, is this for sprinting, circuit racing, or other? I think most people have assumed sprinting, and castiron is giving his experience from a circuit racing point of view. Quite different applications!

Tyre choice / wheel choice is going to make big differances to any car, and from what I have tryed and understand westys are light and don't need massive wheels and tyres. in my racing days I ran avon crossplys  7. 20.0. 13 up front fitted to a 8 inch rim and 8.2 22.0. 13 rear fitted to a 9 rim. The front was fitted to a rim that was 1 inch out of optimum spec and after changing to a 7 inch rim the front gripped better felt better and the tyre looked in better shape after use.

You can overtyre a car of light weight and you will not get the tyre to operating temp also fitting a tyre to a rim out of spec will affect the tyre dynamics and make it feel as if you need to go bigger for more grip

• Like 1