The Cat and Fiddle pub, Buxton, Derbyshire

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Located on some of East Cheshire's/West Derbyshire's finest driving roads, the Cat and Fiddle pub sadly closed in 2015. It is due to re-open in Spring 2020 as a pub and a single malt whisky distillery. 

It's remote location at 1600ft, up in the hills above Buxton, is undoubtably magnificent and worth a drive to regardless, so let's hope the pub will be good too. Glen and I will be giving it a go and if it passes our rigorous testing we will be leading a run out to it. Look out for it next year and try to pop along yourselves or you are welcome to join us.

• In 1813 the Cat and Fiddle was built on a new turnpike road
  • Charles Rolls tested his cars with Mr Royce there
  • As the pub closed in 2015, Forest Gin was born. A local family built and now run a gin distillery, Forest Gin, in Macclesfield Forest near the Cat and Fiddle pub
  • This family will distill whisky and run the Cat and Fiddle pub
  • The conditions in the cellar, 1600ft above sea level, will provide perfect conditions for the English Single Malt Whisky to mature 

• Like 3

That’s great news it’s reopening. The cat and fiddle was where I had my very first realisation that my 18 year old driving ability was made up mostly of enthusiasm rather than skill  :rolleyes:, those were the days. I must make an effort to revisit once the current build gets finished.

• Haha 1

It wasn't open in Feb 2018, when this pic was taken !

The guy who kindly took this pic, is stood outside the door of the pub. His flask is by my front wheel!

image.png.9a6e7e0e5c37ea3295696452b91df59f.png

• Like 2

@Steve (sdh2903) it will be interesting to get a Scotman's opinion of the whisky too

@Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO does the flask belong to @OrangeCrush? or is it where you first met Tango Man?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2