ICELAND

litcoat

Now that's what you call a road trip, hired a car before we went, supposed to be an I20, got there and they gave me a Focus ST, get on. 

We based ourselves in Reykjavik and toured out from there.

First day we did the Golden circle, which is a tourist circuit, but a nice drive of 300km taking in the Pingvellar. National park, the geysers at Geysir, the massive water falls at Gullfoss and the flooded volcano crater which I can't remember the name of, weather conditions were interesting with snow at one point.

Second day just popped down to the Blue Lagoon, totally over commercialized but you've got to do it while you are there, slapped the face pack on, got the beer and just laid back and slowly cooked for a couple of hours.

Third day I went looking for driving roads and boy did I find them, went south heading for Kleifarvatn, mainly because the line on the map was thinner than the main roads, it paid off, absolutely beautiful countryside, lakes, lava flows, etc, etc and good driving. Looped round by the Reykjanes Peninsula, about 350km in total, a good run.

I'll be going back so much more to see and do plus they have F roads where you can only go on them if you have four wheel drive.

I'd definitely recommend a visit.

Cheers Mark

Just remembered the name of the crater, Tedgi, 

Yup. Has to be one of the most magical places I’ve ever been. Will be going back as I want to see more than I managed over a4 day visit a few years back. 

Just now, Meatibald Archpants said:

My mum went once, she was impressed. 

There’s always one...

If you are in Reykjavik make sure you have a go on the Fly over Iceland ride, I have been to all the theme parks in this country and been on the rides but nothing compares to this even though you hardly move, their website is FLYOVERICELAND.COM it was that good the wife wanted to go back on again.

just downloaded some pictures out of the camera, the first one is the falls at Gullfos, the second is the road by the lake at Kleifervatn, the third is the geyser at Geysir, the fourth is a great sweeping corner that the wife nearly got in the way of and spoiled the picture and the fifth is one of the churches in Reykjavek that looks like the space shuttle on steroids. 

P1000759.JPG

P1000820.JPG

P1000755.JPG

P1000821.JPG

P1000745.JPG

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

We were there in Feb 2014 - magical place. Could live there in a heart-beat, but it's tough to emigrate there. Reminded me of NZ alot, (not the permafrost), the fact they are a remote island nation that are reasonably self-sufficient and resourceful. Booze is extortionate, utility bills are ridiculously cheap.

DSCF4203.thumb.JPG.f6c022357679fcd9cf62cbc862a7d2e1.JPGPanorama16.thumb.JPG.20c9993ff15f9378c06da0263aa1850a.JPG

• Like 1