Channel Islander members

Martin Letts - Joint Hampshire & IOW AO

Are there any Channel Island members, I’m currently in Jersey, but will be visiting Guernsey in the near future and was wondering if there are any club members around

Calling @Mark Redpath - WSCC Membership Secretary to the thread please... he should be able to let you know. :)

Please be careful while you’re on Jersey, my sister-in-law lives there.  If you see her, you’ll recognise her straight away.  She was an orc in Lord of the Rings and lives near the airport in a house called Mordor-on-Sea with a light outside shaped like an eye on a tall pole.

• Haha 1

I live in the UK now, but still count myself as a proud Guernseyman having lived there until I finished university and still having all my family there.

I don't know if he's still a member but S2KGSY is based in Guernsey I think.  He built a very nice Honda powered Westy and races it in the local hill climb events there.  I was there at the end of August and watched some of the bank holiday hill climb.  There were probably 6 or so Westfields there but I'm not sure if any of them are members on here.

Nick

PS I'm sorry to hear that you currently find yourself in Jersey...

2 minutes ago, Nick Mace said:

PS I'm sorry to hear that you currently find yourself in Jersey...

Me too 😄 

I’ve spent time on Jersey and one native described the island to me as “50,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock”.

35 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Me too 😄 

I’ve spent time on Jersey and one native described the island to me as “50,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock”.

There are far more than 50,000 Crapauds (affectionate Guernsey french term for our island neighbours)!

I think all of the Channel Islands have gone by that metaphor at some point (it's pretty much true of Alderney (c. 2,000 of them in that case...)).

• 4 weeks later...

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you?

Near Basingstoke.  Unfortunately I've never made it along to a Hampshire area meet up - I work in London so mid-week is normally out of the question and weekends are usually very busy.  In fact, I haven't driven the Westfield very much at all during the last couple of years.

I was on Jersey last weekend, running the Radio Control on the Jersey Rally.  I met a Westfield owner (the black / yellow jacket with Westfield on it was the giveaway!) who hillclimbs his car.  I didn't get much chance to talk with him (or get his name) as the radio sparked back into life and I had more work to do.

I had a bit of spare time on Sunday morning, before flying back to Southampton.  The weather was more suitable to my Fiat 500 airport hire car than a Westfield!

Simon

A friend from Guernsey navigates for someone in the Jersey rally every year and says it's a great event.  I know the current president of the rally through rifle shooting, and it looks as though he enjoyed himself (photo from the Jersey Evening Post website link added too)...

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/sport/motorsport/2019/10/14/west-is-best-in-2019-jersey-rally/

image.png.5e3047c1f6a8967622ec03c8b7642b00.png