do I sorn for no tax

pistonbroke

Just discovered while checking with DVLA online that my tin top tax and MOT  expired yesterday  29th June , I have not received the usual  reminder to tax or sorn the vehicle . 

I need to get MOT'd before i can renew the road tax .

question is ,  do  I  SORN the car before i get an MOT ( assuming I can get it done on monday ) or do I risk a fine for not sorning an untaxed car ? 

has anyone else been in the same situation ?

Do SORN now to stay legal.

Then book an MOT appointment and it's OK to drive to and from (using the most direct route to pre-booked appointment) MOT station without road tax but do go online asap after MOT pass to buy new road tax.

An insurer could possibly refuse an accident pay out (small print saying must be insured when on road) so take care during MOT trip.

I'm fairly sure if you sorn it you can't then tax it in the next 14 days on line ,has to be done at post office. 

Tony 

I wouldn't worry about it unless more than 1 calendar month passes. The reasons are obvious if you think about it...

One way to think about it is if you hadn’t have noticed the tax but knew you needed a mot so booked it for Tuesday you would just happily drive it to the mot none the wiser. ... just saying like...

as for tax I pay mine in part monthly cos I know I forget to buy the damn stuff. 

21 hours ago, Blatman said:

I wouldn't worry about it unless more than 1 calendar month passes. The reasons are obvious if you think about it...

Do you mean that when you buy the road tax later in the month it is backdated to the start of the month?

RAC view is  https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/driving-without-tax-guide/#penalty-for-driving-without-car-tax

"What is the penalty for driving without car tax?

It’s virtually impossible to get away without paying road tax if you’re required to because the DVLA runs monthly computer checks of all vehicles registered in the UK.

If the system flags up a vehicle as being untaxed and not declared SORN, an automated letter and fine of £80 will be sent to your address if you’re the registered keeper. You won’t get any points on your licence though. If you pay the fine within 28 days, you should receive a 50% discount.

If you fail to pay the fine, you could be prosecuted, and the penalty could be increased to a maximum of £1,000 if the case goes to court. The DVLA also has the power to clamp your vehicle until the correct amount of tax is paid."

If you pass an ANPR camera while untaxed then a DVLA generated £80 fine letter will land on your mat.

Im with Blatman on this IF you intend to MOT and tax it ASAP....

You are not driving it on the road less tax except for driving to and from a MOT station?

If you have a massive MOT failure with loads of work to do prior to the MOT re-test,  meaning a couple of weeks delay plus, then I would sorn it then.

You would be pretty unlucky to drive through an ANPR camera on the way to a l;ocal garage, but worth bearing in mind?

Mart. 

Thanks all . got it booked in tomorrow AM . (No fails or advisories allowed) . 

The only real worry was my being fined for not sorning,  but as Blatters has said it would prolly take 30days for HMG to catch up .

of coarse this would mean if I do get a fine Mr Blatman  would be liable :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Do you mean that when you buy the road tax later in the month it is backdated to the start of the month?

RAC view is  https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/driving-without-tax-guide/#penalty-for-driving-without-car-tax

"What is the penalty for driving without car tax?

It’s virtually impossible to get away without paying road tax if you’re required to because the DVLA runs monthly computer checks of all vehicles registered in the UK.

If the system flags up a vehicle as being untaxed and not declared SORN, an automated letter and fine of £80 will be sent to your address if you’re the registered keeper. You won’t get any points on your licence though. If you pay the fine within 28 days, you should receive a 50% discount.

If you fail to pay the fine, you could be prosecuted, and the penalty could be increased to a maximum of £1,000 if the case goes to court. The DVLA also has the power to clamp your vehicle until the correct amount of tax is paid."

If you pass an ANPR camera while untaxed then a DVLA generated £80 fine letter will land on your mat.

I've taxed loads of vehicles late, IE more than 14 days after expiration. Working away often (abroad) means I miss these deadlines occasionally. I live in London and I drive past 5 or 6 of the ANPR camera pylons on my commute to work. I've not once had a fine, so my thoughts are based on my experience. YMMV...