The Mental Health Thread

AdamR

Wow, @Beaker_Bob... OK so I'm equally upset and impressed... Its OK cos I cry at everything at the moment! 

You have gone through so much and your coping strategy is going to inspire everyone.  I am so impressed. 

This isolation is a real challenge.  I am very happy to start a WhatsApp group so we can exchange words of wisdom. Support, the good, the bad and the um.. Ugly.. Share who is doing what in the coming weeks. Pictures of cars!! 😜

I am happy to share my number if this would be useful? 

There is strength in numbers. 

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing.

Personaly, I think one of the whole aims of a thread like this, is that anyone/everyone can unload all the stuff we let build up and suppress, while we're busy caring for and looking after others. It's not self indulgent.

Of you've had CBT, (another t shirt I've been there and got!) then your thought process sounds spot on, it's very much in the same vein as techniques I've been given, but obviously biased to what works for you.

For those that do thrive in a structure and routine, I think you're absolutely right in your approach. Everyday at the moment, we're making the new normal. At least for the immediate future. So it's important to follow a sustainable path that will work for you and your family.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I hope everyone is doing OK.

I just wanted to reiterate what has been said already in this post, if you are finding it hard to deal with issues in your life please please try to reach out for help, however hard that may seem. There will always be somebody who can help you in one way or another.

Sadly just over a week ago my wife and I were walking our dog on the same route we have for years when we found a young man for whom clearly life had become too much.

I feel a degree of guilt even though he was a stranger to me that had I have know earlier maybe I could have done something to help.

It is incredibly sad that somebody feels this is there only option.

Please don't suffer in silence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is a very sad account indeed. A man jumped off of the railway bridge at the top of my road with a plastic bag of his personal belongings... He survived but is badly injured. Its a traumatic time for so many.

I have not done well and have, like many others, gone back onto medication. 

I dread winter, no pubs, clubs or visitors.. My meds are just keeping my head above water along with my car. 

Has anyone else buckled? 

IMG_20200717_182746.jpg

17 hours ago, Jude - The Mad Widow said:

I have not done well and have, like many others, gone back onto medication. 

I dread winter, no pubs, clubs or visitors.. My meds are just keeping my head above water along with my car. 

Has anyone else buckled? 

Jude,

I hope that you are ok and please as mentioned please do shout out and we will answer.

If not us then MIND 0300 123 3393 are excellent and open to all callers.

Not broken myself and bizarrely feeling 'head and heart' better as out of the rat race and commute cycle, working from home surrounded by family. I thought this would be a nightmare but actually really nice. I am lucky, but I'm very aware others may find themselves in a less than great position. We too have witnessed a neighbour suffering and stepped in with an offer to chat and it has had a positive outcome to date.

• Like 1

I wonder if this excellent thread, which just by reading it makes me proud to be a member of the club, would be better served in the Members Only area.  It seems a little misplaced as none of this has been “Stuff” or “Nonsense“ and moving it there would make it visible for our eyes only as club members (non-searchable on Google), which might make others feel more comfortable about opening up and discussing things.  Just a thought. :) 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

I wonder if this excellent thread, which just by reading it makes me proud to be a member of the club, would be better served in the Members Only area.  It seems a little misplaced as none of this has been “Stuff” or “Nonsense“ and moving it there would make it visible for our eyes only as club members (non-searchable on Google), which might make others feel more comfortable about opening up and discussing things.  Just a thought. :) 

A good point made and one I agree with for the reasons outlined above.

2 hours ago, TableLeg said:

A good point made and one I agree with for the reasons outlined above.

Agreed but maybe let @AdamR confirm first :yes: 

• Like 1

I would say this thread "belongs" equally to everyone who has contributed, it can live wherever it will most benefit everyone 👍

• Like 3

All other thing being equal, I'd rather see it where it get's most traffic, which I suspect is possibly exactly where it is!

To me, part of the point/benefit is to not be "hidden away" (I know that's absolutely not the intent behind suggesting the move, by the way!)

But maybe if some would feel more comfortable discussing personal things in a more private, fellow members only area, perhaps we could put a second thread in the members only section, linked to from this one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

All other thing being equal, I'd rather see it where it get's most traffic, which I suspect is possibly exactly where it is!

I agree. Also there might be people who aren't paid up members who might read the thread and find it helpful. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

there might be people who aren't paid up members who might read the thread and find it helpful. 

Exactly!

As I say, it was only a thought. :) 👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I agree. Also there might be people who aren't paid up members who might read the thread and find it helpful. 

On the flipside, there may be people who are contemplating posting on this post but the thought of putting that information out on an open forum post for anyone using to Google to come across may put them off.

Either way we can only hope it inspires somebody to make that step needed to seek help and support.

• Like 1