Single axle trailer tyre blow out - MYTH BUSTED!

B.RAD

Yes, I did notice you where regarding single axle only. Just adding own milage. As far as I'm aware the legal requirements are simply tyres to be of good condition, 1.6mm tread minimum, and load ratings to be suitable. No of plys or any designation of being a 'trailer tyre' is optional. However I do also agree, in smaller sizes a lot of tyres will have a load rating below what's required for a single axle trailer unless designed for the purpose.

Daniel

Back home in NZ, trailers have their own registration, number plate and yearly MOT.

My trailer there was an 8x5 decked single axle with 225/50r12.5C-98L (750kg each) tyres/wheels from a Toyota Liteace lowdeck 1-tonne truck. A good thing I added was grease nipples to the hub dust covers to give them a yearly grease injection.

The number of trailers I've seen in the UK that shouldn't be on the road has astonished me, also the number on the side of the road with rusted off/seized axle stubs. Also the number of boat trailers with what looks like wheel barrow wheels doing 60+ on the motorway with the axles at a 15deg angle under the weight - a bit of negative camber is good on a racecar, but that's ridiculous! 

Back in spain trailers do have its own reg and MOT too... not keen on that for my own confort... i do mantain well my trailer, and i dont need the annoying yearly appointment to get sagged because the fog light in the trailer wont switch on that day....

But yes... this lack of control makes you see dangerous stuff here in uk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BCF said:

There is indeed another element to this story - the other tyre blew out on my way home :(

Next question - tyre pressure. Brian James manual says 35psi for 165/13 profile tyres, but they always had an unhealthy looking bulge in the sidewall above the tyre/road contact point. I've recently been increasing pressure and on Saturday put them up to 45psi - I wonder if this caused them to overheat and contribute to the failure (if you overlook the fact that the tyres were 17 years old - date stamps were on the inside and not visible 🤦‍♂️)? Any thoughts on trailer tyre pressures on 13" rims? 

My gut feeling is BJ are likely to suggest atleast as good as pressure as anyone on here assuming you're running within rated loads. Else usually also the tyre has "X Load at X Psi" on the sidewall?

You can do a lot worse the feel the sidewall for heat each time you stop. It should be mildly warm, but not hot. 

Not and expert and welcome anyone else input but that's always done me fine. 

Daniel

• Like 1