Really Off Topic. Fence Painting

Thrustyjust

Somehow when I bought my house, I seemed to have inherited 28 fence panels from the neighboring houses ???  . Previously it has taken an age with a brush to paint and also used my air compressor with a spray gun, which was quicker, but had to thin the stuff out, so didnt last as long. Obviously I have Westie driving as a priority , but looking at options to get this done quickly. Wont let the wife do it, as she painted the tortoise last time :oops:. So, what are those pump action sprayers like or any other recommendations. :d

I am using a pump sprayer at the moment.

Its been really good and well impressed with it.

Keeps good pressure and covers well.

I do go over what I have sprayed with a brush too.

Its a ronseal one.

701FF035-29A3-4BB3-A731-2B7C52F09E1E.jpeg

Be careful painting fence panels, check the lap direction or you might have an angry neighbour complaining about their new stripey fence.

1 hour ago, Lyonspride said:

Be careful painting fence panels, check the lap direction or you might have an angry neighbour complaining about their new stripey fence.

Ironically it was my neighbour who painted my back UPVC white door and 3 day old astra, also in white a speckled dark green before. I left him with a bottle of Cif to do the door, while I wash the car :d

Just been looking at the pump sprayer at Screwfix and has mixed reviews.  More than likely down to the paint that was used and blocking jets etc.

I changed my panel's to the pressure treated one's, so no more painting but only needed 7 as the rest is hedge, obviously 28 panels will cost a lot, the sprayers work well if you don't let the jet become blocked, easier said than done, doing 1panel then cleaning the end helps, and not to warm also. 

11 minutes ago, Jon Wilkinson said:

I changed my panel's to the pressure treated one's, so no more painting but only needed 7 as the rest is hedge, obviously 28 panels will cost a lot, the sprayers work well if you don't let the jet become blocked, easier said than done, doing 1panel then cleaning the end helps, and not to warm also. 

I actually own about 18 panels and the rest are the neighbours. I suspect at least a dozen will need replacing in about 3 to 4 years time, so this will be the last time they are painted. But they were pressure treated although 10 years ago, so the wood is really brittle now and the bits that have fallen off, you cant nail back up. 

Yacht varnish the tops, certainly helps, I think if they last 10 years will be happy, could change them to the plastic panels but at a cost but can choose different colours and lifetime guarantee, I prefer my hedge 1 cut a year, and no/little maintenance, spraying is a lot quicker than brush painting, but still a long laborious task, hence my low maintenance approach, just remember to save some energy to lift Yr pint at the end :)

• Like 1

Reason for asking about quicker ways to get the job done , then means more time for a cheeky pint at a local pub en route in the Westie , is far more important than painting fencing................ although I also have the lower garage frame posts to also replace as rotten. The joys :(. Still, the new ones are knotted and need primer and may get one done an evening after work wont affect fun time too much.

You could always have someone else to do it whilst you're away having a blat! 

52 minutes ago, Jon Wilkinson said:

You could always have someone else to do it whilst you're away having a blat! 

The wife painted the tortoise last time, so you want a job done proper, you do it yourself Jon :d

No I just buy them pressure treated and leave them lol

Don't bother painting fence panels, they last just as long untreated.   

7 hours ago, SootySport said:

Don't bother painting fence panels, they last just as long untreated.   

Depends if the you like the outlook from the patio of random faded and algae green splodged fencing , which sadly I dont, it looks rubbish. Its done 5 years, so not really fussed doing it once every 5 years, although I am looking at Cuprinol this time round as not overly happy with the Ronseal stuff.