Motion Amplification

jimbobtcc206

Chatting to a good mate today who has got some revolutionary new camera equipment in his arsenal. He mentioned using it to film the Westy in the spring to see how various elements and the whole chassis behave when being revved.

This kit is absolutely amazing! Can’t be long before the motor industry cottons on and starts using this technology.

Heres a link to a video of a building shaking and how they find the cause is awesome! There’s plenty of other vids too.

Think that was reasonably obvious what it was, but I would worry about that frame fatigue as well, with the flexing it was doing. If the frame was stronger and some form of anti vibration base installed would probably cure it. Also the bugs on the floor ..............needs a session with Rentokil ! 

I think the point of the demo is really the visual amplification of the movement- the actual flexing is very much lower.

• Like 1

Yes exactly it’s the visual amplification that’s the point. This technology would have all sorts of uses with cars eg. Identifying weak spots in chassis components, suspension components, aerodynamic components. I’m not advanced in knowledge of this sort of stuff but I thought it was pretty cool seeing it in action.

2 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

I think the point of the demo is really the visual amplification of the movement- the actual flexing is very much lower.

I suspect so Mike, but to have such a huge machine reciprocating like that would invariably be the issue, but it is clever stuff to show it.

You should come and see our office at work. You can see the vibrations with  no fancy gear! The walls vibrate,  the flo tube reflectors rattle even one of the windows has cracked. Light tubes last about 4 to 5 months if lucky.

When reported we just get told the space was never meant to be used as office space. Swear one of these days there'll be no ceiling left!!

22 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

You should come and see our office at work. You can see the vibrations with  no fancy gear! The walls vibrate,  the flo tube reflectors rattle even one of the windows has cracked. Light tubes last about 4 to 5 months if lucky.

When reported we just get told the space was never meant to be used as office space. Swear one of these days there'll be no ceiling left!!

We did some air conditioning installs at an electricity switching station (many moons ago !) they had this large rotor arms, that twisted and locked into place to allow current to flow through them and went with a huge bang when they did. Every building on the site had huge cracks from the ground to the roof , where these things used to shake them with the noise of them switching in , on the arms.  

I used to work with scrap shredders. We had a similar problem once with a very large shaking feeder pan. Changed the frequency of the pan and the office stopped vibrating - took it away from the natural frequency (or a harmonic thereof)