Superlight R500 wheels

Mike-SEiW

Stumbled across a set of R500 wheels last night. Purchased them straight off (£500 incl halv-worn ACB10s plus extra tire).

Only problem is that on the front hubs, they don't go on the bolts which seem to have a slightly smaller bolt circle? On the back they're fine. Could it just be the bolts that are not perpendicular and are pointing inwards slightly?

I haven't measured properly, but is the center hole diameter the same? I'll probably have to make an adapter...  :p

Anyway, here's a pic:

178-2003-08-12-picture.jpg

Not sure on this but I dont think the PCD is the same on Caterhams ???

Some Caterhams use Triumph uprights, which have, IIRC a 100mm PCD. Ford use a 108mm PCD, so they won't fit. Plenty of caterhams use Ford PCD's though, so it may be worth checking with the wheels' previous owner....  ???

mike i thought you were wanting to save money as youd gone over budget???

christmas come early:) ???:)

:D   :D

Well...when you find a smoking deal, why not go for it? I had actually budgeted for about £600 worth of wheels+tires, so it's still reasonably within budget.

The wheels are 4x108. They fit fine on the rear, but not on the front. I suppose it could be a small manufacturing difference on the front hubs, it's about 0.5mm "wrong". I think perhaps a tightening up the bolts with a distance inbetween might make them "set", if not, a hammer should do the trick (I hope).

I think perhaps a tightening up the bolts with a distance inbetween might make them "set", if not, a hammer should do the trick (I hope).

i have a mental picture of loads of people wincing when you say that.  :D

sometimes i am not sure if you are winding us up :D;)

AFAIK the wheels are made by Mike Barnby - if you do a search on blatchat you may be able to get contact details.

ISTR they are 3part wheels so you may be able to get different centres for them (I dont know for sure though)

Failing that I'll give you £200 for them  :cool:

I think perhaps a tightening up the bolts with a distance inbetween might make them "set", if not, a hammer should do the trick (I hope).

i have a mental picture of loads of people wincing when you say that.  :D

sometimes i am not sure if you are winding us up :D;)

Why ever would you think I was winding you up?  ;)  ;)  ;)  That really hurts my feelings you know. :D

Nah, I have a friend who has a small tire-shop, so I was thinking of letting him loose on this issue and see what he comes up with.

Making aluminium adapters for the centers is easy really. Question is, what is the "normal" ET/Offset recommended for Westfields? I have the phone no for Mike Barnby (Rochester, Kent) already actually, got that from the seller.

I'll take some pics to show you all when I get home. I think it's just a manufacturing defect. I've got the correct sleaved nuts - the seller took it all off his car and gave them to me, so I know it's "good".

or borrow my scissor jack and shift 'em with that. It'll be fine. You won't be driving it on UK roads - will you? :devil:

I had some R500 wheels and they always were a very tight fit. I believe because they're machined without taking into account the difference that powdercoating them makes.

Could get them on and off by slapping/thumping them a bit with the palms of your hands.

I seem to remember the backs were easier than the fronts too.

The wheels are 4x108. They fit fine on the rear, but not on the front.

Mike, are you trying the same wheel on the front, and then on the rear? Are you using Cortina hubs on the front, or ally replacements?

Mmmm. The finger of blame seems to be pointing towards the ally hubs at present. Are the studs fully pulled through? If you havent already done so, it might be worth getting an old steel wheel and nuts, and tightening the wheel up fully first (assuming that the steel wheel will fit of course....) and then trying a R500 wheel again. Otherwise, tap the studs back out, and carefully measure to see if the hubs also have a 108 PCD.

HTH Stu.