Keeping it in the street

jrcasey

Can I have some more advice please?

I'm going to have to keep my new Westie in the street because I have nowhere else to put it, so I was wondering if any one has any tips to protect it...

I will be getting a cover for it, but does anyone know of any that are particularly good?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jrcasey

• FATBOY

• brianm

• steppenwolf

What do you mean by 'the street'?

A guy round the corner from me has one that sits in his drive all the time under a cover. It's almost always got cars blocking it from the road though, so stealing it wouldn't be easy.

Personally, I hate parking mine outside people's houses when I'm inside having a cup of tea, but that's me :)

Andy

When I got my insurance quote they asked where the car would be kept and on the road wasn't an option - they wouldn't cover it there.  It had to be in a locked garage.

I'd suggest not only a locking cover but also remove the steering wheel if possible, as well as fit an alarm and immobilise the engine.

Wow, are you one brave? sort of bloke. I really would not sleep nights. It is asking for trouble. Try and get a lockup.

Or install patio doors and keep it in the front room :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Seriously, make some other arrangement. :(

Brian.

I live in a terraced street with no off street parking, so 'the street' means in line with all the other cars!!!  Parallel parking will be fun.

It will have a locking cover (can anyone reccomend one), immobiliser and alarm and a removeable steering wheel will be fitted later.  I'm more worried about it getting hit than nicked.  As for the insurance - I've told them it will be in the street and they haven't complained...

Personally, when ever i leave my car, i'm more concerned as to the threat of malicious damage rather than out and out theft - A wetfield isnt the easiest thing to sell on due to the nature of the car and the community that surrounds ownership (i may be being a little nieve though).

Had my tax disk stolen the first time it was left in an multi storey so i didnt really get off to a great start.

How does a locking cover work btw. big bag and a chain??

i guess it is still fabric and unless you are minted, ballistic nylon or cordura nylon will be way out of budget for that much material!

Move house!?! (sorry..silly comment)

Is it really that bad Brian?  Why do you think it is so risky?

JR please I intend no disrespect but the world, in almost every locallity, is full of a********s. Because you have something these said a********s don't have then your car will become a target. As Johnnyboy said its not the thieving tykes but the vandals that you could well be a victim of. Insurance as others have said may be a problem, but insurance is a last resort, you really have to be aware of the obvious risks and reduce these accordingly.

PS if you live on the outer Hebrides etc, this may not apply  :0 Sorry mate just trying to be realistic :(

Brian.

So what I was really trying to say was the last thing I'd like to hear on here in your next post is that your car has been swiped/trashed or in any other way gottat, and in any case in the long term it may put my insurance up :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Brian.

:)......I admire your spunk, JR, there's more to a man than the size of his balls, as my dear mother used to say. Okay, if your leaving your Westfield in the street you'll need to think motorbike not car. Get yourself a decent motorbike chain to go through wishbones and front wheel, a chain around the steering wheel and rollbar stops little ****s sitting in your car, ignition cut-out stops bigger ****s leaving lights on and a motorcycle alarm is a better option than car ones. These type of products can be found reviewed in mags like RiDE and Bike.

;) ..........failing that rebadge it as a Robin Ho*d.

:devil: ........on second thoughts don't, because the dustbin men might take it inadvertently.

Thanks for all that - top help again.

I have tried to get a garage, but no luck.  I am reassured that the general consensus is that it will no get nicked, but more damaged. On the theft front I live in a very chilled street.  From previous experience I know what high car crime areas are all about and my street has none.  From the damage POV, none of the car in my street have suffered at all (there are some very nice alloys around) and I hope the kids next door will look out for it - taking them for a ride or two should do the trick.  The bike alarm stuff is a VERY good idea - i'll be checking that out.

I'll keep you all posted...  Do still need to secure the purchase first though (but it is looking good).

Oh

And just to make doubly sure that you have wheels in the morning a) make sure you have decent locking nuts and b) invest in at 2 motorbike chains & padlocks so that you can chain the front alloys to the wishbones.

This has the added advantage of being an immobiliser too

As an extra thought

C) start going to church every sunday & midweek service you can to pray for your car........

Warren

I have a pager system on my car which works brilliantly and would afford you some protection especially when you are at home. If the car is tampered with, a silent alarm system goes into action and pages you so that you can go out there with a large persuader to resolve any issues.

I would rather not discuss the details of how it works on an open forum but a private email will allow me to divulge a bit more!

Suffice to say that recently a friendly Catering Van owner got too friendly with the cockpit of my car at a garden centre and boy was he surprised when I arrived 20 seconds later with my pager bleeping away. The shoppers at the garden centre jumped out of my way as I charged through the shop presumably thinking I was a doctor in a hurry - the stethoscope helped a bit too

:blush: